What "test" do you do in your training to sort of demonstrate Nark-ness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
On my AOW deep dive, they made me write my phone number and solve some addition problems. I did them just as fast as I could do them on the surface. That was at 99 feet.

Addtion problems can be worked out too easily for a lot of people. Division works better because it isn't "natural".

Here's a good one.... Give each student a slate with something like this on it:

divide the first prime number greater than 50 by the first prime number less than 10 to as many decimal places as you can in two minutes.

Amazingly, when confronted with something like that at 25 or 30 metres some people can't even work out what you're asking them to do! :) Others will spend the first 45 seconds trying to figure out which numbers you want them to use..... :) (mean, eh?)

You just give them 2 minutes and see how far they get.....it keeps the excercise short, which is important on the deep dive, but it still delivers a good result.

To see the difference you'll need to do it again during the surface interval. Use different numbers the second time to eliminate recall as a factor.

R..

dilligaf368:
Try this: take Your tables out and a slate and figure Your decompression using the chart and compute Your bottom time at 100' then figure out what the decompression time would be for 30min later at depth.
I guess some would have to practice the tables before attempting it at depth! Thinking is slowed at 99' so figuring the tables will take longer than on the surface.
I wonder........are they even teaching tables anymore or just how to run a computer? B-------

Uhm... here is what happened to me...

I got the solution 12 seconds faster at 105 fsw than I did on the surface... and I was the fastest of the group. The instructor looked at me in a bit of a funny way.

Diver0001:
Addtion problems can be worked out too easily for a lot of people. Division works better because it isn't "natural".

Here's a good one.... Give each student a slate with something like this on it:

divide the first prime number greater than 50 by the first prime number less than 10 to as many decimal places as you can in two minutes.

While my I.Q. is quite a bit above average, I have a serious math insufficiency... I wouldn't be able to do that thing at the surface either... at all. So that thing is not really representative.

Well I like to start by having the students do air and leak checks at the surface to about 10 ft. Then at 60 ft I ask them again to verirfy the status of theirs and their buddies air. And A quick magic 8 count ask them to add up the difference in the numbers of fingers I hold up to equal eight. (I hold up three they respond with five - I never give them seven btw because I sometimes get a single finger of a selected placement on their hand)

This repeats at 100 ft and then I expect them to hold tight to their dive plan and that I will do what ever I can to see if they come off it short of physivcal contact. This includes their depth and turn pressure. It really does't take much for me to cause them to pull off the dive plan. And many of them have some level of narc that they don't read their information correctly, air and depth. I don't time it, I am looking for the correct response. If they can't quickly calculate the difference between what I hold up for a finger and what they need to hold up then I flash them a new number. All the time they may be going deeper than planned or not paying attention to gas limits or time

mccabe:
Have you ever found that some get their names wrong!!!!?

When ask to write his name backwards at 100' a friend of mine, Buzz, spelled his name Zubb.

mccabe:
Have you ever found that some get their names wrong!!!!?
Yes the do misspell and or put letters wrong way around.
had one ones hy could not write at all he was narced:D

100 iterations of the Sieve of Eratosthonese. If they can't do it in 60 seconds they're narked. I have seen guys narked as shallow as 30 ft.

I give my students a dive plan that includes a max depth and time at that depth. It's their job to follow the plan (it's part of their gas calculation exercise, actually).

At some point between 80 and 100 fsw, I'll swim up to the student, spit my reg out, and slash a hand across my throat. I want to see how long it takes them to respond to an OOA situation ... and whether or not they respond properly. Once I am breathing off their reg, I give them the "end of exercise" signal, help them stow their reg, and continue the dive.

FWIW - I never take more than two students at a time on the deep dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Mo2vation:
I can't get into I-to-I anymore, so I'll ask it here.

Ken

What happened? You got drummed out of PADI? Anyway, on the boat we'd do ending pressure group calculations after 3 dives. Once they got that right, which most all did within two tries, we'd do it again at depth. No one ever got it right. (I only taught about 10 AOWs though)

From an associate of mine who teaches advanced deco, rebreather, and the like, I got this:

Take a diver deep (130 is good) on heliox. No nitrogen buildup. Then hand the subject a reg on a bottle of air. After six or seven breaths the subject will feel the narc hit all at once. Very effective way to assess it, since it doesn't build up gradually and unnoticed.

Mind you, this requires special training . . .

Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom