So you have $3500 to spend on BC, Reg and Dive Comp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope you won't discount your local dive store (LDS). Whatever you decide to buy, you'll want to make sure there's someone close by to service your equipment or troubleshoot...unless you're going to guinea pig yourself trying to service your own equipment, while gaining diving experience.

Would also be nice to have a relationship with your LDS for air fills...you can't buy that online from some store in the US.

At the end of the day, as a few others have already noted, the most important question is to ask yourself what kind of diving you'll be doing. E.g. there's great diving in Les Escoumins...but you'll definitely want a dry suit for that! By the way, in case you're interested, Bare and Whites are Canadian; both make excellent dry suits.

For our northern climes, I definitely favour the B/P & wings route. Most people find it more comfortable than a traditional stab jacket around a dry suit...less of that constricting feeling. Also, it's a modular system, so you can add to it later if you decide to transition from single tank to doubles.

As for regs, stick with the high performance models from established cold water equipment manufacturers: Apex TX100, Mares Abyss, Sherwood Blizzard, and if you have the dough (which sounds like you do) a Poseidon Extreme Deep. These are only a handful that I'm familiar with. What you want to do is stay away from manufacturers that build great regs...for warm water diving. 42 degree water has a way with equipment that 85 degree water doesn't....

Have fun with this! You only get to buy your first set of equipment once! Mind you, as you become completely scuba-equipment obsessed, you'll find yourself buying more stuff just because. LOL

Reg: Atomic T2
Octo: Atomic SS1
Computer: Oceanic VT3 hoseless
Backup: Oceanic VT3 hoseless
BC: Apeks WTX all bells & whistles
BC: Zeagle Stiletto
Fins: Atomic Split
Mask: Ocean Master Primero
Snorkle: AL folding
Knife: Ocean Master 5" Beta Titanium
Primary Torch: Green Force FII HID 50
Backup torch: Sartek 4000
Wetsuit: Henderson 5mm & O'Neill 3/2

That might just bust the budget but boy you would be ready for anything.

I am going to let you know what I have:

Reg: Poseidon jetstream/odin set (in my opinion, the best of the best) :) I have experienced with other regs and nothing beats the Poseidon! It is good for recreational diving and some do tech diving with it. Good for warm or cold water diving.

BCD: Zeagle Ranger LTD, back-inflated BCD. I have experienced with jacket style BCD and hated it. My next purchase will be BP/W, for more configurations.

Drysuit: DUI FLX50/50. Top is same as DUI TLS350 (dries quickly) and bottom is CLX (took forever to dry and it is crushed neopene) with 400g Mobby's thinslate. My next purchase will be TLS350 because I live in the South and no need for CLX or FLX50/50 for more warmth. I think CLX would be great for you since you are way up north.

Computer: Sherwood Wisdom (console, nitrox). Perfect for my need for any condition anywhere. I had it with me since I start diving (dove below 50 degree to 80 degree F, works very well). Easy to read!

Good luck with your purchases! :)

steveann:
The guy who takes the time to plan his gear around his dive is diving Hogarthian, even if he isn't in a "Hog Rig".

No... he's just a guy that is taking the time to plan his gear around his dive... 'not that there's anything wrong with that.' :wink:

If this wasn't so off topic I would say more. I would suggest to anyone that is interested in Hogarthian diving that they should poke around in the Hog Forum or have a look at this article...
http://www.divingindepth.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=621&tabindex=4&DocumentID=3506

Sorry for the diversion... over and out.

Having recently purchased a lot of my gear I figured I would put my 2 cents in. I dive a Seaquest Black Diamond BC which I really like, but if I had it to do over again I would really look at the BP/W route. As for regulators, AquaLung and Apeks regulators currently come with a free octopus, and they have some really good environmentally sealed regs. Good luck.

Trick question, ya didn't mention it was Canadian dollars, though the USD just lost another 7% against the euro the past month or so... [grrr...]
Another vote for:
DSS single tank rig
www.deepseasupply.com
You can spend a lot more but you won't get any better. period.
I'd go for a pair of Poseidon Cyklons; that's what I got some +30 odd years ago & am still using the critters.
Suunto Mosquito, and that would leave enough $$ left over to get a Viking Xtreme (drysuit) w/B200 Thinsulate undies, some dry glove rings, and have enough left over for a trip to da Keys for a few weeks.
HEY! I just looked, this is my 3500th post here in the past (almost) 6 years.:D

Back
Top Bottom