So you have $3500 to spend on BC, Reg and Dive Comp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely some good advice here, so far. I'll add my opinions in, at least on some gear types (the ones I know most about).

Regs: Get a good environmentally sealed reg. Get an easily serviced reg. maybe even a reg you can learn to service yourself (at least minor repairs/adjustments for those Cuba trips). Look for one that breathes well at all depths you will use it. Get a reg from a reputable dive shop/retailer. Some brands that I have liked are Zeagle, Apeks, Scubapro.

BC: BP/W is the most adaptable setup, from tropical diving to cold diving, singles or doubles, drysuit or wet, DIR or non, cave, wreck, reef, etc. BP/W can be made up to be no different than a "normal" BC
(Look at Figure #5 on http://www.omsdive.com/backplate.html)
Cold diving up here in the NE/Quebec, you're looking at heavy wetsuits and drysuits, so get an appropriate amount of lift for all your diving needs. I personally like the 45# lift range, but some people will tell you it's overkill. I say you don't have to use all 45# all the time, but some day you might wish you had it. Look for a durable design, minimize the velcro attachments (velcro that's done and undone a lot will lose it's grip sooner or later). Look for good craftsmanship. Look for a setup with a good amount of D-rings (3-7 usually is best) and not so many gimmicks. Look for a BC with standard parts (I'm regretting my velcro proprietary weight posckets now that the manufacturer has stopped making them) and replacable components (things will wear out). Find one that fits you best. Fit is the key.

Computers: Figure out what you will dive in the future. If you see yourself doing more technical dives in the near future, a more robust computer might be your best choice. If you see yourself doing a lot of "fun" dives, a less robust computer is needed. Get a Nitrox computer at a minimum. If you like the idea of less hoses and the benefits of air integration (SAC rate calcs, tank pressure on your 'puter vice a seperate gage) look at those. I personally do not like Suunto, based on their over conservative algorhythm. My personal thought is to get a computer that allows you to selct the conservatency you desire, whether that be by changing some settings, or by diving the computer more conservatively (noone says you have to go into the yellow before you end your dive.) Look for a big display. Look for easily replacable batteries. Try using the buttons in heavy gloves.

Exposure protection: Get yourself a nice drysuit. Stay away from neoprene (except crushed) unless lead brings out the color in your eyes. Make sure the brand is durable. Ask around before you buy one. Tri-lams are nice because you can adapt to your dive conditions (more undies for colder water). Watch out for urethane coated bag suits, as the urethane likes to delaminate after a while (granted, it might be years.) I personally like DUI. Expensive, but worth it in my eyes. The CLX and TLS series are nice suits, comfy and durable. There are tons of other suits out there that are nice also, DUI just seems to be the nicest.

Accessories: Can lights are neat. Not necessary, but neat. I would get a light, though. Some sort of primary and then a smaller backup (I like the UK SL4 as my backup, any old multi cell (C or D) primary will do.) An SMB for the St. Lawrence or boat dives would be nice. A reel for the SMB. A good dive bag to carry all your gear in (Rubbermaid works great when you're not going on a boat). And don't forget the cool dive t-shirts.

In reality, $3500 US is way more than enough to get all this gear (including the lights.) As an example, my wife bought the OMS Comfort Harness, 60# "bungied wing of death", weight pockets, Zeagle 50D reg with Octo+, and an Aeris Elite air integrated comp for around $2000, including tax. And that's with the "bells and whistles" setup. You could knock $200-400 off for non-AI or a less expensive BC.
If that $3500 is CAD, well, you're still set pretty well (that $2000 US is only $2200 CAD as of today's exchange rates). That still gives you tons of room to play. Heck, it's enough to fund a season's dive trips.

As an aside, I would buy the gear as the right gear shows itself to you. Don't rush out and buy everything right now. Put the money in a good earning savings account, and by the time you get all your gear, you'll have made enough on interest to buy even more gear.

CD_in_Chitown:
Search all through Hogarthian and DIR forums, implementing a BP/Wing is a change that has ramifications on other gear purchases, but certainly has its advantages in weight distribution among other things.

This caught my eye as some potentially money saving, and experience gaining info.......inexperienced as I am - why? I mean why would a BP/W affect any other gear? What gear would not longer be any good if I went from a jacket style to BP/W? - ..... Help!

Sorry for being dim - but it's not a stupid question if you don't know.

Hi Cardinal,

I too am from Montreal and am still relatively new to diving (75 dives). I bought my equipment a couple years ago and now i find myself making my transition to doubles and I now find myself with an extra reg set (yoke). I have a Titan LX 1st stage paired with a Glacia 2nd, a Low profile Octo, and a Suunto console computer with compass. I liked the set but have switched to DIN reg sets. I haven't put them up for sale yet but will soon be. Pm me if interested, can even try them out if you are interested in diving locally, or if you just want to discuss local diving around montreal area.

Another good site on local diving is wwww.ontariodiving.com good coverage on brockville area

cardinal:
This caught my eye as some potentially money saving, and experience gaining info.......inexperienced as I am - why? I mean why would a BP/W affect any other gear? What gear would not longer be any good if I went from a jacket style to BP/W? - ..... Help!

Not a huge impact unless you are going the full DIR route. Don't sweat it. For instance, you might choose a different weight belt, since you'll have more in the backplate. Small things like that.

cardinal:

The BP/W will not affect your selection of gear, so much as the philosophy (DIR and hogarthian) will.

Hogarthian diving is the diving equivalent of minimalist art. You get rid of everything you don't need. You only bring those items that are necessary to the mission of the dive. The bp/w setup is commonly used, although you can be hogarthian without it.

DIR is a diving philosophy based on a group of underwater explorers who decided that having the same gear configuration for all their divers was the safest, best way to dive. They used a lot of the Hogarthian philosophies, but take it to the next extreme. Your light will be this type placed in x spot. Your knife will be that style placed in y spot. And so on and so forth. This makes it easier for your buddy to know where things are on your setup, but denies a lot of the individuality divers seek and limits your gear choices to exclude items you may wish to carry.

In reality, both philosophies are relevant and have their place in the world. I personally think hogarthian is more usuable than DIR in a lot of cases, as the hogarthian theory is infintely more flexible than the DIR theory (after all, the Hogarthian theory is "Don't bring what you won't need". If you need it, then you should have it when you dive.)

Both philosophies will also affect your gear selection. If they interest you (and all you need to do to find out more about them is google DIR and Hogarthian) then start making gear selection choices with those philosophies in mind (they won't force you to buy crap gear) as it really sucks when you decide to become DIR, and you realize your gear is not DIR compliant. Then you'll wish you'd spent that initial $3500 on the gear you needed.

As an aside, get DIN regs. 300 BAR DIN regs. With a yoke adapter, you'll be able to use them on any tank in North America. With a 200 BAR DIN or a yoke, you remove one or two options from your tank inventory (200 BAR DIN will not seal in a 300 BAR tank valve, and yoke will seal on neither DIN.)

steveann:
The BP/W will not affect your selection of gear, so much as the philosophy (DIR and hogarthian) will.

steveann:
Hogarthian diving is the diving equivalent of minimalist art. You get rid of everything you don't need. You only bring those items that are necessary to the mission of the dive. The bp/w setup is commonly used, although you can be hogarthian without it.

Steve... or Ann... :D

While I agree with your main point, I believe that Hog diving is more about risk management than minimalism... although it is about that, too.

Also... while not all BP/wing rigs are Hog rigs... all Hog rigs are BP/wings.... just can't have a Hog rig without it.

OK... now back to how to spend $3500....

Stephen Ash:
Steve... or Ann... :D

Now I'm laughing out loud again. For the second time today... Thanks Stephen, I needed that.

Diver0001:
I think I know just the LDS for you.......

Look,

A BCD should cost max about $650

A reg should cost about $500

and a computer about $300

The other 1600 should be my tip for writing this. We'll split it 50/50.... PM me for my address.

R..

Take the rest of the money and go on a Carribean dive trip..........

As some have said:

"The most expensive gear is the stuff you buy INSTEAD of what you should have bought."

In fact, I followed this very advice and bought all the best stuff right out of the chute and guess what?

I'M REPLACING A LOT OF IT NOW ANYWAY!

:)

Seriously!

When I started diving in January of this year I bought "the best BCD" and "the best integrated LPI/alternate" and "the best fins" and "the best mask" and "the best console computer" and just this week I replaced them with...

- the best BP/W/Harness set up
- a second "regular" reg on a necklace
- better fins
- a better mask
- a better wrist mount computer

Take your time, figure out what you really need, then buy THAT stuff.

that said, I know where you can get a great deal on "the best BCD" and "the best integrated LPI/alternate" and "the best fins" and "the best mask" and "the best console computer" - all in like-new condition.

Stephen Ash:
I would have to disagree on the "All Hogs are bp/w's" comment, in that the philosophy behind the gear is the same, whether you dive a bp/w, a backinflate bc, or a jacket bc. It's all in the "don't bring what you don't need" philosophy. And it's in the "Only bring what you need, and what will get you out alive" part of the philosophy.

And as always, there are different levels of Hogarthian diving. The guy who takes the time to plan his gear around his dive is diving Hogarthian, even if he isn't in a "Hog Rig". He's just not as all out Hogarthian as others are.

Back
Top Bottom