Trimix for girls??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've got to get the rig out of the car and onto the picnic, table, though . . .

TSandM:
You've got to get the rig out of the car and onto the picnic, table, though . . .

My instructor used a dolly and it seems like a good idea to me. :)

TSandM:

A piece at a time...

There is a young woman who dives at Ginnie. About 5 foot nothing, and around 100 pounds. Dives with 2 104s, a couple of deco bottles, and a scooter.

Plus, if you dive Helium, the tanks are lighter.

octgal:
Forgive me for sounding stupid, but i have been reading up on trimix lately. I would definately like to try it at some point in the future HOWEVER i have come up with an issue i think i will have and wanted to hear some feedback.

Now, at the moment i dive a single LP95, of course i don't have to wear any weights and am way overweighted as it is. When i get into doubles for full cave i cannot imagine how i will even stand up with 2 tanks. One is bad enough! HOW WILL I HANDLE 4 tanks???????:confused:

Can any girls out there or instructors or whoever give me some idea how we are suppose to handle 4 tanks for trimix?

i'm sure this is a stupid question, but i can't seem to get past how i will achieve this unless i start lifting more weights in the gym then i already am and bulk up to superwomen

*SUPERoctogal*
Get in the gym, start a weight lifting regimen, do your yeoman work and complete your Trimix/Deco/Overhead Training. Then reward yourself and go to the South China Sea for some great Wreck Diving on this Liveaboard:
http://www.norfolk.com.sg/mvempress/gallery.htm
http://www.norfolk.com.sg/mvempress/vessel.htm
(that 300kg stern lift to get you into & out of the water, along with the on-board Recompression Chamber should you need it --was well worth the Charter Price!)

Just for planning (I'm 58 now) I'm starting to dive more sidemount and independent doubles, with an eye towards toting one bottle at the time down to the water and then rigging them in the water.
As for diving off boats, handling the big heavies is why God made strong deckhands with young backs.
I'm already training my daughters and granddaughter, nieces & nephews to put my scuba gear on me in the water so that I can dive on my 80th birthday :)
Rick

My doubles(steels) weigh in at ~100lbs with gas in them and at first they were intimidating but like Andy said, whatever they weigh you do get used to them...Carrying them on your back (with the harness) really does a great deal of good, feels just as easy as a backpack...

Having said that, I´ve gotten lazy and so I use a handcart on land...good boats and buddies will also be willing to help you out...

don´t let the size/weight of doubles stop you form continued training...it´s easily worth the effort!

I have found that as time goes on tanks get lighter. For example when I first started out with double 80s, they were real heavy. Now, I've moved up to double steel 120s. Went back the other day to move the 80s in my garage and wow, were they light! I still haven't figured out what changed; if I got stronger or my definition of "really heavy" changed.

Also, my body has begun to fall apart, bad discs, etc. So my desire to continue tech diving has been a great incentive to do all I can to stay in shape. I now excersice regularly, both aerobic and resistance. It has really made a difference. A good regular excercise program is pretty much a necessity for tech diving. If you don't, it won't be long before something breaks. Plus it also helps your air consumption.

Thanks for the replys. I am thinking of going sidemount anyway, which i think i would prefer for caves!!! I have heard sidemount is better anyway??!!
As for trimix, well nothing will stop me from trying, so i'll sign up like everyone else and try until i collapse if i must

TSandM:
I dive out of the back of my truck....:D

I know, I know, you got to get it out of the house into the truck! :wink:

TSandM:
I think this is a good question -- at least, it's a good question to me. I'm transitioning to doubles this spring (or hoping to!) because I want to do cave training, but I'm dreading the weight. I'm not at all sure I could ever climb a boat ladder with double tanks (but I have joined a gym in hopes I can get CLOSER to that), let alone with stages.

I dont think you will have a problem. I have seen girls in the low 5-feet high range haul 95's onto a boat.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom