Trimix for girls??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You sound like BabyDuck.
She's always looking out for our crotch straps. Hmmm, what's up with that? :wink:

Cool thread... I had pretty much decided on going with a larger single to avoid the weight of doubles. Now I am looking at my two extra 80s sitting all alone in the corner and rethinking it.

It's not that I can't handle the weight of double tanks, but the idea of moving that weight around when I don't have to is giving me flashbacks to my emt days.

I might just have to suck it up and try it. Some of our shore entry and exits can be "interesting" though.

I started diving doubles (boat dives) with smaller tanks - Faber MP72s. I highly recomend them if you are diving a drysuit. They only weighed about 73 lbs for the pair (including manifold) with a full fill and were negative enough that I could use an ABS backplate and no additional weight. I also used a set of PST E-7 80s which were equally functional if I added a steel backplate. After a season of boat dives and gym workouts, I moved up to lp 85s and lp 95s and have no problem getting them on and off the boat, even with a deco bottle or two (AL 40s). As an older, short woman (5'4"), I am happy to use a handtruck to get them to and from the truck/boat. Lowe's carries a collapsible aluminum one for about $40 that is truly portable - both of my dive buddies went out and bought their own after seeing mine.

Hoyden, THANK YOU for the info about the hand truck . . . I've been fussing mentally about how I was going to get either of our (non-collapsible) hand trucks into and out of my Audi station wagon . . .

I think almost all women worry at first about whether they can handle doubles, move them, get on and off the boat, carry them to the spring entrance. As others have said working out can do a lot to improve your strength. Technique will get you the rest of the way. Think about body mechanics and use your larger muscle groups to get things done. I was nervous the first time I was going to reboard a boat in my doubles, but focused on getting the wt centered over my legs (where my strength is) and got back on without a problem. I'm 5'3 135lbs. So I am not a petite thing, but then I am no linebacker either. Best of luck.

Here are some photos of my collapsible handtruck. The wood is bolted to the truck with some space for the straps. The slots have a piece of steel behind them to reinforce the wood. This cart works well for either double or single cylinders. The cart folds flat when not in use. When I take the doubles for a fill I almost always leave them on the cart, and the shop uses the cart to move them around rather than lugging the cylinders around.

Mark Vlahos

View attachment 34560

View attachment 34561

View attachment 34562

View attachment 34563

Mark Vlahos:
Here are some photos of my collapsible handtruck. The wood is bolted to the truck with some space for the straps. The slots have a piece of steel behind them to reinforce the wood. This cart works well for either double or single cylinders. The cart folds flat when not in use. When I take the doubles for a fill I almost always leave them on the cart, and the shop uses the cart to move them around rather than lugging the cylinders around.

thats looks like the cart I have. Which I think is the same one hoyden mentioned as I got it at lowes for $30. I need to add a board to it as you did to make it more stable. I currently bungie the isolator to the top rail and that holds it in place but the board looks more solid.

plankspanker:
thats looks like the cart I have. Which I think is the same one hoyden mentioned as I got it at lowes for $30. I need to add a board to it as you did to make it more stable. I currently bungie the isolator to the top rail and that holds it in place but the board looks more solid.

I can bounce over rough terrain and up steps without worrying that the cyliinders will slide off the cart if I strap the cylinders to the board with the straps. I am not reckless with the way I move it, I am just able to not worry about the cyliinders slipping off.

I got the cart at one of the large office supply stores a few years ago. There are a few different companies that make very similar carts. The shape of the board at the bottom allows the platform to fold up flat.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom