Cleaning tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently went down to the Keys and got in a few dives. Upon returning home my tanks were quite disgusting. I have two "brushed aluminum" Al80s that went from being shiny to gross. My guess is that the salt in the air was sticky and dirt that was just floating around latched onto the tanks.

Jason B. suggested that I clean them with white vinegar so I gave it a shot. Since there's no paint on the tanks there's nothing to eat away, and the vinegar isn't strong enough to hurt the tanks.

I'll let the results speak for themselves. Jason's awesome suggestion worked great. :D Note that the process was very time and energy intensive though--and then I had to clean out the tub afterwards. Even still I think it's worth it to have clean gear.

Before:
dirtytanks1.jpg

dirtytanks2.jpg

During:
cleaningtanks.jpg

After:
cleantanks.jpg

Realized right after taking that pic that I hadn't replaced the nitrox stickers so I tossed those on there right afterwards.

mike_s:
Sweet....

I'll drop mine off to you next week to be polished.. :D

No, no, see that was the purpose of my post, to let you know a great way to do it--that way I DON'T have to polish your tanks. :wink:

Now you don't have those handy marks to let you position your cylinder bands.

spectrum:
Now you don't have those handy marks to let you position your cylinder bands.

Interestingly enough those aren't from cylinder bands as I don't dive doubles; they're from the cam-straps on my Eclipse. I guess they're so tight :)D) that they didn't let any dirt on the tank.

Wow, I wouldnt worry about them being clean. They are just going to get that way again after a few more dives. I think its bad to have shiny tanks. Shows that you are a newbie. Let em get a little schmutz on em. Makes em look like they been used a little...

I would rather keep my gear nice and clean than worry about whether or not people think I'm a n00b--I'll let them make that decision once we're in the water. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom