to knife or not to knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I would take a mk 11 mod 0 in my right hand and a mark 23 in my left. Not exactly a "balanced rig" from a trim standpoint, but for the ability to kill things at many different ranges, I would say that's about as balanced as you can get!

EDIT: a 1911 is a time-proven reliable and accurate design, but I need a threaded barrel stock on my gun!

The nice thing about the FN P90 is that it is completely ambidextrous, ballance and trim are maintained perfectly with one in each hand<G>.

I have a simple outlook regading dive knives. I'd rather have one and not need one, than need one and not have one. I also believe in back up so I also carry a set of shears as well.

A more experieced diver told me to change how I wore my dive knife tough.

He used to wear it in the same spot (ouside of right calf) and actually tried to drop his belt once and had the buckle hang up on his knife handle..since that incident he started wearing it on the inside of his left calf. It's just as easy for a right handed extraction, but now less likely to snag on anything,,,including a rapidly dropping weight belt.

It seemd like a logical argument....so that's where my knife resides. Shear are in right thigh pocket of my x-shorts.

Oh BTW...guns and knives, kind of go hand in hand..:eyebrow: .

My preferences are the Beretta 92FS and the ever so nice shootng Glock 17....both in 9mm please.

Gun-nuts! OH MY! www.quackenbushairguns.com
Ok guys, in case you don't already have one, you gotta see this site. Large bore airguns, that use a 3000 psi operating presure. various models .25, to .50 cal. made in the good'ol USA!

agilis:
As much as it pains me to disagree with you, H2Andy

oh, it pains me much more

:wink:

the process of starfish regeneration from relatively small sections is no myth. It's true. If you've ever seen a "comet" starfish, what you are really seeing is the regeneration of a new tiny body with initially smaller arms extending from a severed full sized arm. When Crown of Thorns Starfish were blanketing and killing some coral reefs in the Pacific, various alternative methods, including injecting formaldehyde, had to be developed. Cutting them into pieces was ludicrously counterproductive. Ultimately, the most effective and inexpensive method was to dump them into a net bag, and remove them from the ocean. The proliferation of these animals is a symptom of something problematic in the ecosystem.

this is what i thought

My trusty dive knife came in handy while in Roatan last month. On a night dive, we came up in school of jellies. Got a painful sting on my face. Once on board, I used my knife to shave off any remaining stingers, and applied liberal amounts of white vinegar.

Knife goes on inside right leg every dive. When in Coz, I keep it tucked in my vest pocket.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

H2Andy:
oh, it pains me much more

:wink:

this is what i thought

We don't usually carry syringes of formaldehyde and to my knowledge there hasn't been a formal program instituted to eradicate COT's in the Sea of Cortez. That said, I'll start carrying a bag to haul them up.

Husband poo-pooed the idea of my carrying formaldehyde and needles. Mumbled something about dive buddy issues and insurance policies. You should have heard him when he told our LDS not to sell me a knife! :D

Gary D.:
Take both! If you only use them once in your lifetime it's worth taking them.

Gary D.

I second what Gary said. You don't wear a knife to look macho. When I teach, I refer to mine as a dive tool. Shears are a dive tool with a similar function. I've used both when I've (or another diver has) been caught up a bit in fishing line with a rusty hook on the end. Just seemed easier to cut the line than pull on it to untangle it.

Splitlip:
Random thought.
Gotta wonder what subscribers from other nations must think when they see American males turn a thread about cutting tools into a discussion about fire arms.
I'm part of a forum populated by Americans where I'm the only English. Believe me I'm not surprised at all :wink: On the subject of knives, I've carried on all but one of my dives, and I always will. I have a 4.5" chisel tip with serrated edge and line cutter, it's exceptionally heavy too so it's damn good as a tank banger.

Felt bad for the fisherman, it looked like he had some fancy lures.
He musta thought he'd landed a big one too!

Those fogcutters look like they could either be really great to have, or be built really poorly. Does anyone have one and actually use it?

I don't have them personally (I go with two separate knives and shears as seems a lot of people in this thread do), however I recall they came up frequently in the "What did you buy and regret" thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=114279&highlight=worst+purchase

Back
Top Bottom