Thinking Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving alone is like drinking alone. You are the one that has to know when to limit yourself. There are many different diving situations that could go either way. I have done both. The times that I have dove solo have been shorter, shallower, and less dangerous dives than when I'm with a trusted buddy. Whatever you do, research the pros and cons first.

From what I read in a late 1980s PADI magazine was that anytime you buddy is not within x distance or far away enough that they cannot render immediate assisstance you are in effect diving solo. This is an interesting thought and gets aaway from the buddy complacency factor.

You ever dive with a photographer??? Talk about solo diving! I swear, getting a photographer's attention is next to impossible...unless I'm being attacked by sharks..and then, only because he might be able to get some good shots!

Seriously though..if you are considering solo diving, invest in a pony bottle. A REAL pony bottle, not a spare air. That way...if anything goes wrong with your reg or tank you do have a backup. And get familiar with (wear to wear it...weighting..etc.) it BEFORE you go solo.

What is a pony bottle to you 7,5 liters with an independent reg ?

That is what i am going to get (filled with Nitrox :tease: ) many of my friend are photographers…

I am serious about it

You also should ( in my opinion ) have 2 first and 2 second stage regulators.

Why not a facial mask (but it would be a little difficult to use to pony bottle )

Fa:)

Have you taken the Rescue class? One of the things they teach you is how to approach a paniced diver. Hint: you don't approach them from the front.

Originally posted by afraser31
Hey fellow divers-
I have a question about diving solo vs. buddy diving? I've read a couple of articles in some of the best Dive Magazines such as Sport Diver, PADI sponsor magazine. There were several pros and cons from some of the authors about diving solo. For example, no worries about putting yourself in a arkward position when it come to buddy diving. That is, when another fellow diver loses control or fear of something that he or she is not train to do. You come to assist that fellow diver and come to face to face that he or she is grabbing, choking, fighting with you. therefore, it puts you in a terrible position. So it sounds to me that it seems to be o.k. to dive solo only if I had extensive experience. Any arguments?
afraser31

Oh Sky...now you are making me do conversions. I would guess a 7.5 liter tank would be a 30cuft (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!) But, yes I would say an independant 1st and 2nd stage (along with a gauge) is the ideal setup for you.

Don't know about the full face mask. I do know that any kind of "independant" redundant air source is the best way to go. I don't think the full face mask (if that is what you are referring too..one that covers the whole face) will work with a pony bottle. It might..but I've never played with one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom