Do you have practice questions for the DM exam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to buy and learn to use the wheel for my AOW.
I still have mine and play with it now and again.
I must admit I quite like it, similar to a round slide rule I used.
Now I will have to explain what a slide rule is (think analogue calculator).

Are you guys talking about the eight exams i.e. equimpment, supervising, physics etc.? Please don't tell me there is another one. I barely passed the physics and never ever want to see it again. I thought I was ready too. According to my calculations I only have some in water supervising to do.

drdirt,

A while back, I scanned some old DM exams for an overseas instructor who wanted to give his students for whom English is a second language some more practice. There aren’t as many as today’s PADI tests, but can be useful additional practice for some of them. They are:
Physics
Physiology
Equipment
Skills and Environment
The RDP
If you PM me your normal email address, I could send them to you that way.

Physics...Phis-iology...was tough...and for some reason..I passed...hummmm...must have been the head up display on my glasses...:wink:

just go over the work book again..most of the questions are from the workbook...but worded differently...:wink:

things I foget or do not use...RDP wheel...the physics part, the physiology i remember a little of it. I do not use a snorkel.

I do use my tables to plan my dives. ANd use a compass.

Have fun..:wink:

I'm not planning on going through DMT until later this year, but I think I must be a freak or something - I find the wheel to be much better than the tables and a good compromise between "I don't want to buy a computer" and "I only get 10 minutes BT!?". For non-square dive profiles the wheel works beautifully. It was easy to learn (took 5 minutes during AOW) and quite handy to have. Just my $2 x 10e-15 worth :)

Drat,

I bought the crew pack with the encyclopedia, DM manual, a whole bunch of stuff, but no Instructor Manual and no exams. I've since purchased the Instructor Manual - basically had to for the internship portions.

I think I had better not study from the standard exams. There are not many versions (I think 2). If I study from version A and then fail version B, then it won't prove to me that I know the material to retake the version I studied from.

Thanks all! I'll go over my Knowledge Reviews and workbook stuff, maybe take a second read for the PADI philosophy, and give the exam a try.

best thing is to review the workbook front to back and back to front.
i would read the encyclopedia but there is an awful lot of stuff that wont be on the exam.
i spent more time w/ the workbook and a little less w/ the encyclopedia

good luck!

drdirt:
I bought the crew pack with the encyclopedia, DM manual, a whole bunch of stuff, but no Instructor Manual and no exams. I've since purchased the Instructor Manual - basically had to for the internship portions.

I think I had better not study from the standard exams. There are not many versions (I think 2). If I study from version A and then fail version B, then it won't prove to me that I know the material to retake the version I studied from.

Thanks all! I'll go over my Knowledge Reviews and workbook stuff, maybe take a second read for the PADI philosophy, and give the exam a try

If you get the exams then study both A and B. Go through the workbook and rework the knowledge reviews. You should have also read most of the Encyclopedia. But the bottom line is one's needing to know this information and build upon it and remember it and apply it. One is considered a professional when becoming a divemaster. At least I hope so because I am writing a sh*it load of diving expenditures off on my taxes:)

I'm surprised to see that so many people have trouble withthe physics. All it takes is a good understanding of the principles and some basic algebra.

Maybe some of you would like to bring up some things that gave or are giving you some trouble and we could go over it?

MikeFerrara:
I'm surprised to see that so many people have trouble withthe physics. All it takes is a good understanding of the principles and some basic algebra.

Maybe some of you would like to bring up some things that gave or are giving you some trouble and we could go over it?

Good suggestion. If this becomes a good discussion, I could see it being a whole forum.

I've found the physics and physiology not too challenging. And probably much brighter people than I am may find it difficult. My work has me doing alot of calculations and often exploring new ways to estimate/calculate things with gases, natural systems, and human physiology (basic environmental engineering). I've been doing this for a couple decades and so the fundamentals are pretty well established.

I took two years away from engineering to teach science at an US innercity high school (and nights/summers at an adult school). Our US science programs are very weak and most are getting worse.

I left teaching because there was so much resistance to improving the program. I met such resistance bringing applied science to these kids. (Oddly, the adult school administration was very effective at supporting the program. But the pay didn't cover gas to commute to the adult school program.)

I would guess most DMCs haven't used Boyle's law in over a year before starting their DM program, maybe not since high school. This stuff could be easy, if we first are comfortable with the fundamentals.

Would brief additional physics and physiology training for all Adv-OW divers make DMCs more successful???

Could they set a higher bar for dive and deco theory if they did?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom