800m mask/fins/snorkel for the DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stephhhhh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Guys,

Just did this morning the 800m (pfff I would say 850m) mask/fins/snorkel in open water. FORGET IT!!! It's completely different than swimming in a calm area (where I was usually training).... I did it in 21 minutes... Very bad time! They told me to train again for couple of days in order to do it in less than 18 minutes. PLus..... I tought it was without using your arms and they told me that I "have to use my arms"....
Do you really think it could be possible to gain 4 to 5 minutes... by training only dring 4 days? :shakehead
I feeel like I'm nooo goodat all at it... Isit possible to FAIL because of the swims?????

Cheers

I am a DMT myself right now and I am terrified of the swims. But hey, at least you finished it!

Are you using open heel fins and booties or regular fins?

Your not doing it in a pool...it is to be in a confined controlled environment..aka POLL!

but you were notified about it prior to going into the course...you should have been prepared for it. In the gym and in the pool. ( exact words from my instructor a the time..)

But you finished it...move on to something else..

I did mine with jet fins. They don't float and tend to stay a little lower in the water. It does take practice to keep from getting leg cramps and If you are not in shape, I would build up to it gradually before you take the test again. Arms will give you more distance per stroke and in my opinion, help. You can also swim on your back which will place the fins a little lower in the water and allow you to rest while still advancing.

"You can also swim on your back which will place the fins a little lower in the water and allow you to rest while still advancing."
I thought about that one, but then what is the point of having a mask and a snorkel then....

Can I just ask my Instru that I don't want to do it again?

I've been swimming every single day since 3 weeks now...! I'm in shape so why is my time soooo bad...!!!

By the way, I used regular fins. I think it could be easier for me to keep my head out of the water without using the mask and snorkel.

stephhhhh:
Hey Guys,

Just did this morning the 800m (pfff I would say 850m) mask/fins/snorkel in open water. FORGET IT!!! It's completely different than swimming in a calm area (where I was usually training).... I did it in 21 minutes... Very bad time! They told me to train again for couple of days in order to do it in less than 18 minutes. PLus..... I tought it was without using your arms and they told me that I "have to use my arms"....
Do you really think it could be possible to gain 4 to 5 minutes... by training only dring 4 days? :shakehead
I feeel like I'm nooo goodat all at it... Isit possible to FAIL because of the swims?????

Cheers

I think YOU are right, you're not supposed to use your arms for the DM 800 yd/meter swim test. Have your instructor review the standards again. :D

dl348:
I think YOU are right, you're not supposed to use your arms for the DM 800 yd/meter swim test. Have your instructor review the standards again. :D

Oh I was so proud to show him that it was written "without the use of arms" in my DM book!:D He read it twice... And then said that there is no point to do it without arms, cause you would normally use yours in such a situation as rescuing someone in open water

this is not encouraging. i just started DM training so i have a few months to get in shape. i did do my tread already. he he. easy for me - i float. everyone else in my class may be in better shape but they sink like a rock. it ought to be fun watching them try to float/tread for 12 minutes or whatever it was. i was about asleep when it was over. i totally dread the swim tho. ive been kicking butt in the gym but im not progressing at all in my swimming. i totally suck. think i need stroke lessons. think that would help enough?

From the instructor manual, this should answer things for you

Conduct and Standards
You conduct all portions of the Waterskills and Stamina exercises in confined water, except
the Diver Rescue Assessment and Development, which may be conducted in confined water
or open water.

Using a mask, fins, snorkel and swimsuit only (no BCD or flotation
aids) and swimming with the face in the water, the candidate must
swim nonstop for 800 metres/yards. The candidate may not use arms
to swim
, unless the candidate has a physical challenge that limits leg
use and arm-swimming is the individual’s normal swimming method
while diving.

Divemaster Course Instructor Guide
Stamina Assessment and Development
There are four exercises that evaluate
stamina and waterskills, each
rated by points. There is no passing
score for any single exercise
, but
a combined score of 12 or more is
required prior to certification. In
addition, candidates must complete
all exercises prior to certi-
fication.

Assuming this is a PADI DM course, below is the relevant section of the divemaster instructor guide:

Stamina Exercise 3: 800 Metre/Yard Snorkel Swim
Using a mask, fins, snorkel and swimsuit only (no BCD or flotation
aids) and swimming with the face in the water, the candidate must
swim nonstop for 800 metres/yards. The candidate may not use arms
to swim, unless the candidate has a physical challenge that limits leg
use and arm-swimming is the individual’s normal swimming method
while diving. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated.

800 yards 800 metres

Time Points Time

under 13 min 5 under 14 min
13 to 15 min 4 14 to 16 min, 30 sec
15 to 17 min 3 16 min, 30 sec to 18 min, 30 sec
17 to 19 min 2 18 min, 30 sec to 21 min
more than 19 min 1 more than 21 min
stopped incomplete stopped

At the beginning of the watermanship section the guide states that :

There is no passing
score for any single exercise, but
a combined score of 12 or more is
required prior to certification. In
addition, candidates must complete
all exercises prior to certification

While I believe that 21 minutes is a pretty slow time for the mask snorkle fin swim and would certainly encourage any candidate to improve on it, the instructors additional insistance that arms are to be used, and that you would do so in a rescue scenario leads me to question the instructors qualification to be teaching open water, let alone divemaster level courses.

Back
Top Bottom