800m mask/fins/snorkel for the DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You only need to get so many points (16 maybe) to complete the DM program. You can finish everything else and work on the total points for the rest of your life. Finish the four tests and take a look at which one is more likely to gain you points on a "do over". GET THE FIVE POINTS ON THE TREAD WATER.

If you do the swims in open water make sure it is a "down and back." If there is a current it will equalize. I used Force fins. Terrible fins for on top of the water. Waves, chop and wind can also make a difference.

good luck don O

Oh so accoding to the standards, I could keep my 2 points for this one.

KHBLAIR, don't worry we'll get there!! It's not easy I know but a good diver is not always a good swimmer! :)

DONOO, I wish I could just move on to the other tests, but my Instrureally wants me to do good in the swims. He wants meto do 10 minutes at the 400m and less tan 18 minutes for the 800m.

stephhhhh:
DONOO, I wish I could just move on to the other tests, but my Instrureally wants me to do good in the swims. He wants meto do 10 minutes at the 400m and less tan 18 minutes for the 800m.

Your instructor is breaking PADI standards.

Divemaster Course Instructor Guide

Stamina Assessment and Development

There are four exercises that evaluate stamina and waterskills, each rated by points. There is no passing score for any single exercise, but a combined score of 12 or more is required prior to certification. In addition, candidates must complete all exercises prior to certification.
Candidates who fall short of a combined score of 12 may be given time to practice and develop their abilities while continuing in other areas of the course.

It's not hard to do, I'm 48 years old, 15 lbs overweight and unfit but I passed

400m swim - 2
15 min tread - 5
800m snorkel - 3
Tired Diver Tow - 3
Total - 13 :)

stephhhhh:

I don't think your instructor gets to make that choice. Of course if you are indentured or something, he can hold you hostage. The standards are, you need to score 12 points out of a possible 20. If you can get the 5 for treading water you only need 7 more in the three other tests. I think we all want you to do good, but I haven't had to swim 20 feet since I passed the test and my struggles with treading water is when I don't have enough air in my BC. Also, you must keep your face in the water, ( no back ) and you can't use your arms. You could have some fun and mention that his job is to go by the rules, not make them up.

adios don O

A little tip for those of you Dreading the 400 M swim: Keep your strokes LONG (extend your reach, and pull past your hips) and a steady kick. When you start to take short strokes, you aren't being efficient, and are using more energy to go the same distance. I know a thing or two about swimming, as I coach, and formally swam in college. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a Private Message!

As others have said, provided you complete the exercise and have the required score from elsewhere you will pass.

I found the diver tow and the snorkel easy (and the tread but surely everyone scores 5 on that?). It was the 400m swim that near killed me - was dreading it all summer knowing it was coming and it was every bit as bad as i thought. Although being told a 3 was needed to pass the instructor messed up. Had i know it wasn't i'd have slowed and gone for the 1 and been much happier.

When I did it, my instructor and I both did the math backwards when figuring out how many laps was 800 yds. I'm chugging along as fast as I could go, and keeping an eye on my stopwatch. At 25 minutes and lots of laps to go, I was getting pretty discouraged. I finished at 34 minutes, and felt like a total loser with my 1 point. It was a month later that I realized I had actually done 1600 yds, and my instructor just laughed when I told him. He upgraded me to a 3 rather than make me do it again. I should have listened to my college algebra teacher who passed me only after making me promise to never trust my life with my math skills.

creamofwheat:
I am a DMT myself right now and I am terrified of the swims. But hey, at least you finished it!
I suppose the real question here is, should you be a dive master if you're terrified of these swims? Personally I feel someone in a leadership position of scuba should be able to easily knock out any of the skills required, without hesitation. Leadership by example...

The kick is easy if you have decent technique. Pace yourself. Keep your face in the water the whole time, arms stretched out in front of you, with your palms angled up slightly. This changes the position of your body to help angle your fins into the water. Otherwise they tend to flop around on the surface while kicking...and having your fins out of the water doesn't add to kicking one bit.

For a distance snorkel, use enough weight to be neutral, get your hands out in front to make a longer airfoil and reduce drag and use a dolphin kick, you'll go faster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom