800m mask/fins/snorkel for the DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As much as I love doing an upside-down dolphin kick while skin diving...doing a normal dolphin kick for the kick test just doesn't do it for me. I prefer to *GASP* scissor kick...and it's probably the only time you'll ever see me do it...:wink:

stephhhhh:
Do you really think it could be possible to gain 4 to 5 minutes... by training only dring 4 days? I feeel like I'm nooo goodat all at it... Isit possible to FAIL because of the swims?????Cheers

There was a separate thread just this week on the challenges of the 400 swim as part of the Stamina Assessment and Development portion of DM, and how to train for it. The good news is that the process is criterion-referenced. You do the swims until you can amass at least 12 points. You do have to finish each swim (get one point). I initially did all four swims without any prep or training, just to complete them, and ended up with a score less than 12 (7 total). Then, I went back and did the treading water again, to be sure I held my hands up for the final several minutes, boosting that score to 5 (from 3) and my total to 9. I trained for the 800 for two nights in the pool, to find an optimal pace that gave me speed without overbreathing, and added two points there to get to 11. Finally, I redid my Inert Diver Tow to add a point, to get my 12. I probably could have increased the total by redoing the 400, but there was no reason to do so. Many people who pursue DM are competent swimmers, many are strong swimmers. They just are not fast swimmers. So, train for each swim, find an optimal pace that balances speed with your stamina, and you should be successful.

So, can you FAIL because of the swims? Well, noooo. You just cannot complete your DM until you amass 12 points across the four swimming tasks.

from PADI Manual:

Conduct and Standards
You conduct all portions of the Waterskills and Stamina exercises in confined water, except the Diver Rescue Assessment and Development, which may be conducted in confined water or open water.

was that swim in Open Water? Or is that considered confined water?

On any of these stamina tests, remember, go slowly to start, get your rhythm, it is an aerobic activity, going fast to start will make it an absolute beahhtch

play with streamlining; I find that hands in front I go faster - I also use Mares Avanti L fins and I can scoot pretty well - just watch your calves and arches for "shark bites"; best to stretch before starting to help w/that

String:
(and the tread but surely everyone scores 5 on that?).

I have a problm with the tread - an out of shape person can do well on it - after all, fat floats - a fit, lean person can struggle big time; real life example, when I was swim coach at Western Illinois, we had a gal taking a fitness swim class; later that semester she won the NCAA Div I and World Student Games 10K - too little body fat, and too little experience and feel for treading water -

the only people I have had in dive class that did not pass the tread are a former basketball player with a body fat less than 10%, and a fireman that was also an accomplished runner - both fit, low body fat, and could NOT float

heck, I have even seen swimmers struggle with treading for 15 minutes if they didn't know how to do egg beater kick - many of them can't float well either

SparticleBrane:
I suppose the real question here is, should you be a dive master if you're terrified of these swims? Personally I feel someone in a leadership position of scuba should be able to easily knock out any of the skills required, without hesitation. Leadership by example...

Perhaps terrified isn't the right word. :D I can swim quite a distance with no problem. I just can't swim fast. I have no doubt that I wont at least finish them, but it's the time limit that I don't like. Just because I can't swim fast doesn't mean I shouldn't be in a leadership position. I was always a distance runner in highschool...not a sprinter. Going fast and time limits aren't my specialty. :D

I'm with everyone else. This is a confined water test. It is a no-hands test. Perhaps your instructor should be taking the DM class with you again as a refresher in how to follow standards.

DiveDiva_Rach:
It's easier to do it with your arms by your side.
It might feel easier since you're not holding you arms out in front of you, but you're definitely slowed down. You lose all streamlining when you have your arms by your sides.

DiveDiva_Rach:
It was the skill I scored the worst on
Probably because you had your arms by your sides. Had you had them stretched out in front of you in a streamlined position, you would have finished much quicker and with less effort.

SparticleBrane:
It might feel easier since you're not holding you arms out in front of you, but you're definitely slowed down. You lose all streamlining when you have your arms by your sides.

Probably because you had your arms by your sides. Had you had them stretched out in front of you in a streamlined position, you would have finished much quicker and with less effort.
Hands at sides and you are esentially a cup, which is very unstreamlined; arms in front crates a "nose" if you will, just like a race car - then your body goes thru that hole in the water made by your hands; much faster

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom