Curacao - where to stay? Habitat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning to go to Curacao for the first time this September. We want to go during coral spawning and I'm not sure where to stay. From info I gathered this weekend at Beneath the Sea, Habitat's house reef is great for seeing the spawning and very easy and convenient if you aren't big on shore diving. I had kind of ruled it out before since I've been told by a number of divers that the resort has gone down and that the restaurant isn't good at all. We do want to see some of the historical sites and sample restuarants, etc., and Habitat seems to be a bit out of the way for that.

We've never done any shore diving and I'm not sure I want to spend a week doing that. I'd like to do some boat dives and have a good house reef where we could do dusk and night dives at least a few evening. Dive Bus looked like a good option for shore diving, at least to try it and see if we like it.

Any suggestions? Recent feedback on Habitat? Been there or dived their house reef during the spawn?

scubawife:
I'm planning to go to Curacao for the first time this September. We want to go during coral spawning and I'm not sure where to stay. From info I gathered this weekend at Beneath the Sea, Habitat's house reef is great for seeing the spawning and very easy and convenient if you aren't big on shore diving. I had kind of ruled it out before since I've been told by a number of divers that the resort has gone down and that the restaurant isn't good at all. We do want to see some of the historical sites and sample restuarants, etc., and Habitat seems to be a bit out of the way for that.

We've never done any shore diving and I'm not sure I want to spend a week doing that. I'd like to do some boat dives and have a good house reef where we could do dusk and night dives at least a few evening. Dive Bus looked like a good option for shore diving, at least to try it and see if we like it.

Any suggestions? Recent feedback on Habitat? Been there or dived their house reef during the spawn?

I can tell you that if you want to experience spawing, Habitat is the place to be. The easiest shore dives from the dock, short swim to the reef, tanks are open 24/7, just grab a tank and go diving anytime day or night. For night diving it's a no brainer. There is a rope along the bottom running to the reef. All you have to do is remember which side of the rope you are on, swim out along the reef and come back to the rope. Can't get lost. And of course you can do boat diving also. Staff is great as well as the boats.
There is nothing wrong with the hotel. Restaurant has improved and food is good. Sure, the resort is about 25 minutes from down town, but you can rent a car at the front desk for a day or two or a week. Not expensive.
For my buck, it's Habitat. Besides, best spawing is at night. Not too many if any boats go out at night.

Thanks devilfish. Appreciate the comments.

Back
Top Bottom