Anyone dive Millbrook Quarry this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice9

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
If so, what was the water temps?

We did one dive on Sunday, April 1. The water temps were mid to low 40's at about 50 feet. Vis was probably less than 10 ft above 30 feet of depth but opened up to about 20 ft below 30 ft of depth.

-Russ

Yow! Thanks for the info. Thats a little cold for me. I'm guessing it will warm up considerably over the next month?

In the SSI stress and rescue manual it suggest anything below 70 to use 6-7 mm. Above 70 3-5 mm.

This is a memory post as I do not have the book here at work.

I don't mind doing 7mm if its 60-70 on the surface. Colder than that means its gonna be really chilly down below...

Then layer up. When it was that cold and we didn't have hot water, I'd wear a 3mm FJ over a 7mm semi-dry over a 1mm dive skin. Sure you can barely move, but at least you're warm. I don't think that would work well for scuba though. I forgot you have to swim. What can I say though? I get frozen in a hot tub. Igot cold in most of my dry suit dives as well.
I may hold off on diving Millbrook for a few weeks. I have never dove any of the places around here, but how bad can they be? At least there was 10-20ft viz.

lisajade:
Now what's the general rule of thumb for diving wet 7mm?

My rule of thumb is that unless I'm diving in a 3mm in the tropics then a better choice would be a drysuit. I'd rather throw on some extra undergarments and stay toasty warm than fight thick neoprene any day. Of course YMMV (I'm a cold water wuss).

If you don't have a drysuit.... well cold and wet is better than not diving. But I'd keep the dives short & shallow and make sure you have plenty of time to warm up between dives.

See you guys around.

VRC Racing:
We did one dive on Sunday, April 1. The water temps were mid to low 40's at about 50 feet. Vis was probably less than 10 ft above 30 feet of depth but opened up to about 20 ft below 30 ft of depth.

-Russ

Sunday the platforms were 46, the airplane and winnebago were 41. Did I say that dry gloves rock??!! They were my Christmas present to myself, and outstanding.

And one of the platforms on Beach 1 was adrift. Imagine my surprise at the buses to look up! All 4 barrels are still attached, just the bottom mooring came off.

By the way, the line from the stern of the boat near the busses that leads to the deep cruiser is still there. And one from the bow of the deep cruiser to the airplane is also, but that one is REAL hard to see.

tedwhiteva:
Sunday the platforms were 46, the airplane and winnebago were 41. Did I say that dry gloves rock??!! They were my Christmas present to myself, and outstanding.

And one of the platforms on Beach 1 was adrift. Imagine my surprise at the buses to look up! All 4 barrels are still attached, just the bottom mooring came off.

By the way, the line from the stern of the boat near the busses that leads to the deep cruiser is still there. And one from the bow of the deep cruiser to the airplane is also, but that one is REAL hard to see.
I had colder readings, but god only knows how accurate my guages were. It was cold though. I was mostly toasty, but hands were cold even in the dry gloves at depth (didn't equalize them). Weather was nice on SI and it was very relaxing dive... not many people about. Viz was worse than I thought it would be for opening day (Saturday), but still good to get underwater.

As for 7mm, I think I could only go to about 60 degrees in mine. But then again, I got a drysuit soon after that because it wasn't too fun :)

Chris

Back
Top Bottom