Question Florida folks: What's your cold threshold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My home port is Jupiter & West Palm. I do about 125 tanks & dive all year round in 3mm+2mm long sleeve hooded vest. We don't stop diving & this is how my year goes:

82º– Aug 25th >Must be a hurricane somewhere around here.
78º– Jun 5th> Look at that sweet blue T2B viz !
72º– Dec 15th> Zillions of big fish & bugs returned – This is cool
69º– Feb 1st> Boat Coats & hot soup required
58º– July 25th> Yrly Mini-Season upwhelling-U/W Gasoline Effect

Groovy all -- Seeing some commonalities here. I guess this was loaded since as mentioned, it's highly individual. My brain was just thinking as I prep for my first deep dive (with an instructor for my deep rating) on the Spiegel Grove. Makes sense to forgo the shorty and get in a full suit to make the most of the dive.

For the rest of my shore and even offshore ~60FSW dives I'm getting real close to ditching the shorty!

The saying “The older I get, The colder I get” certainty applies to me.

This does not bode well for me! I've never been cold tolerant.

Been diving in a wetsuit that claims it's a 5/4/3. Added another layer (Bare Exowear jacket) a few weeks ago since I've been chilly. Think I'm going to go buy the ExoWear pants next since I froze my tail off in West Palm a couple weeks ago (there may have been some user error in that incident). "Froze" as in "couldn't stop shaking" during the surface interval even while wearing a swim coat and was actually glad they cancelled the second dive.

At this rate I'm going to be looking for a dry suit for next FL winter.

Just curious what everyone's cold threshold is as we start getting warmer in South Florida. I ask because I got certified in November and have right at 50 dives since then and I've only used a 3mm shorty. Last weekend in Dania Beach, water temp was 74 and the coldest I've logged since November is 71. I'm almost at the point to go in board shorts and a rash guard when temp is 77 or so.

Wondering what other's feel is suit free? I know north Floridan cave folks will always be in a wet suit...Or...are you?
How long are your dives? I love when people say 74 isn't that cold and then we attempt a 3 hour dive and they can't last because they are freezing by hour 2.

This may not apply to you, but often newer divers are "fast" and stay fairly warm due to lots of movement. As buoyancy and propulsion efficiency improves, movement decreases and temperature tolerance becomes less.
And dives become longer and the longer you're exposed to the temperature, the more you'll feel it.

For me it depends on my dive profile. Am I doing a shallow long macro photography dive or a shorter drift/hunting dive?

84+ I wear a skin regardless
80-83 Sharkskin gear, maybe a hood on longer dives
77-79 3mm with sharkskin or lavacore on long dives or just a sharkskin and hood for shorter dives
73-76 3mm with sharkskin and hood or 5mm
<72 5mm with sharkskin and hood and on longer dives add my lavacore under my sharkskin.

Last weekend I dove with my 3mm, lavacore vest w/hood and was cold in 72 degrees on a drift/hunting dive. I planned for 74-75.

Also, multiple dives in quick succession will slowly lower your cold tolerance. Multiple dives will also help you when it's really hot outside by cooling you down. Last summer we went to Bonaire and it was HOT. After a couple of days of diving, we didn't even notice the heat anymore.

My cousin was saying how he swims laps in a 70 degree pool. 2.5 hours at BHB this winter, he was well past ready to get out and I had another hour of air left, cozy in my 5mm, sharkskin, and lavacore.

How long are your dives? I love when people say 74 isn't that cold and then we attempt a 3 hour dive and they can't last because they are freezing by hour 2.
Fair enough. 3 hour IN WATER? I mean, 4 hours for a boat dive...just not in the water but an hour and a half or so.

I'm interested to see how the rest of the year progresses and what my tolerance might be. I know my missus is ready for it to be surface of the sun hot!

then we attempt a 3 hour dive and they can't last because they are freezing by hour 2.
I try to limit my dives in the springs to 4 hours. I've done a few over that, and I do get a bit chilled. Usually, the drysuit guys get cold before I do. I grew up in the springs. I'm used to the temps.

I try to limit my dives in the springs to 4 hours. I've done a few over that, and I do get a bit chilled. Usually, the drysuit guys get cold before I do. I grew up in the springs. I'm used to the temps.
You've learned to manage it over time whereas the OP is new. I wouldn't question if you could hang, but I'm pretty sure the OP would struggle to stay underwater on a single dive that long in a shorty in 72 degree water. Either the newer diver is moving too much and runs out of air or shivering by hour 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom