Question Florida folks: What's your cold threshold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair enough. 3 hour IN WATER? I mean, 4 hours for a boat dive...just not in the water but an hour and a half or so.

I'm interested to see how the rest of the year progresses and what my tolerance might be. I know my missus is ready for it to be surface of the sun hot!
The shorter the dive, the easier it is to tolerate. A few weeks ago, water temp was 74 but coming off the ledge from the east was 67 degrees. I was not prepared for 67 degrees and was freezing. I tolerated it for 45 minutes. We took the boat a few miles south and were happy to be back in 74 degree water top to bottom.

You've learned to manage it over time whereas the OP is new. I wouldn't question if you could hang, but I'm pretty sure the OP would struggle to stay underwater on a single dive that long in a shorty in 72 degree water. Either the newer diver is moving too much and runs out of air or shivering by hour 2.
You are 100% right! :)

{Smugly} I am built of hardier stuff than you right coasters.

I have and could do down to 74 deg F in a rashguard (Im just doing 2 dives max a day).

But I have a 3/2 mm FS now, so I would bring it in the winter.

Activity level is another factor in how much you'll feel it. Most dives I do are fairly active, mostly hunting.

According to my log, my coldest dives were in the mid 60s (my buddies are less cold tolerant than me). Apart from the initial splash, I was fine in just a 3mm on that dive. The coldest I've ever felt was during a checkout dive with my daughter. This was at Blue Grotto and the water temp was 71. I was freezing. Mainly because I was just hovering and watching. Nothing to generate heat. I didn't even have to pee.

For me in a DRY drysuit----72F 60 minutes.

My cold tolerance is pretty much nonexistent. I have minimal body fat (especially now), so I get cold easily. We just returned from Bonaire where the water temp was 81 degrees. Our average dive time was 75 minutes, so I was typically cold by the end of the dive even in a 5mm suit.

@heftysmurf stating it's "highly individual" is spot on, however, we have hit some 60 degree thermoclines in West Palm Beach while lobster hunting in late August that were quite exhilarating. 🥶

You've learned to manage it over time
As for learning to manage it, I suppose there is some truth in that. I find that fellow manatee divers rarely need a lot of exposure protection. Still, I've met large people who still need protection and skinny minnies who did not. The point is that everyone is different, and this is a limit that everyone will have to figure out on their own. Trial and error is a great way to figure this out, but it shouldn't be done on your first two-hour dive. It should be noted that cold divers seem to make more mistakes and physics teaches us that you can absorb more nitrogen as your base temps decrease, but cannot retain it as you warm back up. This means that there is a possible triggering of DCS after the dive if you get cold. Know your limits. Honor your limits. Be aware that physical changes can affect your limits.

FWIW, fit and comfort applies to all scuba gear except for exposure suits. Tight fit and some discomfort seem to be the rule there. They almost all make me feel a tad claustrophobic, which is why I abhor, er, avoid them.

The instructor in me seeks to educate as well. Do you know just how many people don't know that warm spot in your wetsuit is a urinecline? Astonishing! One simply questions the talent teaching our students these days. :D :D :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom