What is the funniest or craziest thing you witness underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott Riemer:
In Cozumel last year, I thought I was witnessing the filming of a James Bond Movie. Our group came upon 2 guys, one of whom had a spear gun. For anyone who doesn't know we were inside Marine Parque Arricefes De Cozumel, there's no hunting allowed:no . Our DM swims up to the guy and wrestles the spear gun away from him. We thought it was staged it was so unbelievable:11: . It wasn't though, it was real.

Wow. I'd be pretty pissed if someone in the water with me started wrestling a spear gun away from someone else. Seems like it would be pretty easy for it to be mistakenly fired in the process.

Probably watching a very large remora (~2 feet) try and attach itself to my buddy’s chest while freediving. My buddy was freaking out looking at me with terror in his eyes swatting at this fish and twisting and turning trying to prevent it from sticking to his chest... only to have the fish come right back and try to stick to him again and again. The fish had no fear and would not take no for an answer. What a great dive buddy for providing me with such entertainment :rofl3:

I can’t laugh too hard because I have also done that remora dance and provided the same entertainment for my buddies :D

Latest comedic incident was at the Disney Epcot aquarium..
Me and the DM were standing on the bottom waiting for the rest of the class to do the air chamber..

I was exchanging signals with the DM and i felt a little bite on my thigh..
Look down and a little 10" grunt is floating there staring right at me..
I see the divemaster laughing out of corner of my eye..
I keep staring at the grunt and he keeps staring at me..
I look back at the class doing the airbell..
As soon as I looked - the grunt comes up and bites me again same spot..
I looked down - the lil guy was sititng there starin at me again...
I look at the DM for a second and the fish bites me again..
The lil grunt continued to bite me the instant I looked away..
The DM breaks out into laughter and has to keep adjusting reg and clearing mask..
This of course, gets me laughing and I had to keep clearing my mask for a couple minutes after we swam away..

Smallest fish in the aquarium - but not afraid of someone 100x it size :rofl3:

mike_s:
I remember a year or so ago that some guys died doing this in a florida... using a snorkle to go from air pocket to air pocket.

I think it was a group of kids, and I don't remember if they even had snorkels. Yeah, like a couple years ago.

When I was 14 and did my first deep dive, I was really quite entertained watching my instructor buddy breathe with a crayfish on our safety stop, especially when the crayfish got him with his claws.

I was on the descent to a wreck and saw this guy upside down on his safety stop, clinging to the rope, I couldn't figure out if he was messing around, lost control of his drysuit, or what. So I finish my dive, get to the boat and find out he had been in such a rush and excited to get to the wreck, he forgot his weight belt. The double 104's got him down when full, then didn't co-operate as much after having some air breathed out and the buoyancy take off.

We were doing a night dive on the Benwood, in Key Largo. My wife and I have already descended about 30 feet... and above us, down comes a noob (unbeknownst to me) full speed, butt first... I only became aware when her tank landed on my head.

No... not too funny to me... But, you'd think my wife was watching a good Adam Sandler movie...

(However, I got the last laugh, when I spun her around on the same dive, so she could look into the eyes of a six foot nurse shark swimming alongside us)...

I haven't witnessed too much underwater, but my dive buddy and I were doing our CESA acents with my instructor and he was a little preoccupied with a lobster. He handed it off to the third student in our group and told him to wait at the bottom until he came back for it...

One of the coolest sights I have seen was on my 2nd or 3rd night dive. I was 14 or so for this dive as well, and my dad and I were ascending up after finishing the dive, and there was this ledge at the top of a short wall, and just as we were getting to the ledge from the bottom, a group of 8 to 10 divers came over the top, all side by side, with glowsticks on their tank valves. One of the coolest sights I have seen.

Now on my first night dive, we finished up the dive, and were packing up, and one guy got out his knife, cut open his glowstick, and put the glowing green goo on his hands, then took off chasing this girl. Well about 30 seconds later they emerged from the woods with 2 perfect glowing green handprints on her boobs.

The funniest was in the Bahamas. We had a king sized 22 yo newbie. He wore about three colors of shorts to dive in. On the day we did the shark dive, he chose the yellow shorts. He couldn't get out of the water fast enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom