Blackbeards in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire1076

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have reserved a trip with Blackbeards cruises, begining Aug 25 ( :D :D )
I will be traveling solo, and have never been on a liveaboard. Just wanted to get any advice or comments on my upcoming trip. I'm really excited about the eat, sleep, dive routine, not to mention this is my first trip to the Bahamas. Any info would be greatly appriciated.

It's pretty wonderful!

Just got back a couple weeks ago. Thinking camping at sea but funner... LOL

http://www.zendiving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5171

Pictures are posted too and I need to post the last 3 days of updates.

You will have a blast! Just watch out for the Rum Punch and the End of the World bar in Bimini and you'll be fine. :D

Rum punch sounds good to me!! I'm a little nervous though, cause I'm still a newbie with only about 36 logged dives ( 10 of those in florida springs), and I've heard the DM does not go with you. Also Ive heard that its basically... see you back on the boat with 500psi. Ive recently bought a dive cpu ( how did i dive all this time without one???) and used it with Atlantic Pro Dive in Jax, FL....they basically say the same thing about the 500 psi. With the dive cpu, I enjoy that freedom much better. Thanks for the info.

A DM will go with you if you ask, but you probably won't need on. On the drift dives everyone floats along together anyway.

I went in May. You will love Blackbeard's--think of it as camping on a sailboat. Pack light--you won't need much. Your bunk is the only privacy you will get! Food was good. Diving was great! DM did not go with us on either trip (I have been twice) But I am told he will if you ask. Just make a few friends and dive as a small group. Dive, eat, sail, sleep--it's great!

Don't worry, fire, it'll all be good. A lot of times there are other single divers on the boat, so you can buddy up, or typically people kind of follow the same path anyway so it's not like you're being thrown in the ocean all by yourself.

In fact, though, I kind of enjoy solo diving.

Definitely post a trip report--I'm going 1 September on the ST trip, and already can't sleep at night due to the sheer excitement :D

fire1076:
I have reserved a trip with Blackbeards cruises, begining Aug 25 ( :D :D )
I will be traveling solo, and have never been on a liveaboard. Just wanted to get any advice or comments on my upcoming trip. I'm really excited about the eat, sleep, dive routine, not to mention this is my first trip to the Bahamas. Any info would be greatly appriciated.

I'm cheating here 'cause I was on the same trip!

Post a trip report and tell everyone about the fun and don't forget to tell all about the sharks. :D :D

Here's a little sampler to get things going.
lemonshark2.jpg

:14: I don't think you will have any problems. Just pace yourself and don't try to keep up with everyone else. Nektons's Live-aboards have a DM assigned to every dive that can be used as a buddy or guide. I use live-aboards to build my diving experience as nothing else comes close. Yes, the first time you really are not sure what to expect. The crew should bend over backwards to help you since they depend on repeat customers.

You made a good choice doing a live-aboard!

Chris,

That is a great pic! Tell the truth though...how much photoshop time in in that?!
I just ordered a new camera for my upcoming BB trip leaving Oct 13th, and have some great shots of sharks already but the colors in that shot are excelent.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of equipment are you shooting with.

Kleppta:
Chris,

That is a great pic! Tell the truth though...how much photoshop time in in that?!
I just ordered a new camera for my upcoming BB trip leaving Oct 13th, and have some great shots of sharks already but the colors in that shot are excelent.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of equipment are you shooting with.
Thanks! Not much photoshop at all... just a little colour fix to compensate for underwater.
It helped that the shark was that close... and we were in 15 feet of water.

It's an Olympus 5060 wide angle. The deeper you go the more colour becomes an issue.

It's not always the equipment... I'll tell you the challenge is getting the shark to come in that close :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom