Looking for DM internship 2people together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best place to go for your divemaster internship in Thailand is Aquanauts.
http://aquanautsdive.com/

Because there standard of training is very high. And during your internship you assist working with actual diving customers building your level of experience and knowledge daily.

The lodging is included in your internship fees. The food on the diveboat is such a good quality it could be your main meal of the day - since you say you are on a zero budget.

Please e-mail me if you have anymore questions!
Best Wishes,
Laura

The best place to go for your divemaster internship in Thailand is Aquanauts.

Because there standard of training is very high. And during your internship you assist working with actual diving customers building your level of experience and knowledge daily.

Laura,

With all do respect, not everyone would agree with that statement. I would prefer to stay on Samui for the extended time it would take to complete his training objectives. You still have to pass the IE with PADI examiners as you would in Pattaya. This ensures consistency within the PADI system. Working with customers extensively would also be part of any internship. As a couple, I think it would be nicer for them to stay on Samui as well.

In an ideal world, checking out all his options would be best.

Arizona

Well said Arizona.

Otherwise it sounds a bit like an advertisement to me Laura. To put the picture straight there are in fact many operations offering excellent diver education with extremely high standards throughout Thailand. Be it Koh Samui, Pattaya, koh Tao, Phi Phi, Phuket, Lanta, Kao Lak etc etc.To say different would mean that the entire Industry in Thailand do not operate properly. There are good and bad operations everywhere but let's not implicate that for one operation the rest of the Industry in Thailand is useless.

To the OP - save up some money and do your course properly. To do otherwise you could put yourself in an uncomfortable position.

Hope you make the right choice and wishing you good luck with your future ventures.
Chantal

There is one thing missing from all the replies in this thread I feel worth pointing out. That being the zero to hero factor. Granted, the male has 50 dives and Rescue under his belt, the female is a brand new minted OW diver.

I know they will have many dives by the time their DM training is complete, but few if any will be of any "real world" diving experience. This is not good in my opinion. DM's do not only assist with classes, they also lead dives and are there for the safety of the other divers. DM's with little or no real world diving experience a dangerous.

There is one thing missing from all the replies in this thread I feel worth pointing out. That being the zero to hero factor. Granted, the male has 50 dives and Rescue under his belt, the female is a brand new minted OW diver.

I know they will have many dives by the time their DM training is complete, but few if any will be of any "real world" diving experience. This is not good in my opinion. DM's do not only assist with classes, they also lead dives and are there for the safety of the other divers. DM's with little or no real world diving experience a dangerous.

The dives they would be doing while in an internship would be "real world". They would be leading certified divers and assisting with classes among other DM activities. Taking into account the conditions where you will be working will be a factor. I agree the zero to hero does not get the same experience as a person diving for many years, but then again diving often in a concentrated time period may mean more than racking up 5-10 dives over 5 years. For me personally, I am in no rush and instead have broken my training into separate segments.

My suggestion of having him work as a DM after being qualified and then having his lady complete her DM would be good for many reasons. The diving in Thailand can be quite varied. Currents in Pattaya at times can be quite fierce. It sounds like he travels a bit and has been diving in varied environments. The 60 dive level is there to ensure experience is included with certification.

By the time you finish your DMT, one should know if they have problems equalizing or enjoy diving. I am not sure what you mean Steven. I gather you have not gone through a DMT or IDC program in Thailand, so you may not know what actually goes on. Sorry if I got that wrong. It has to be real world, as you are working for a real world dive operation. You don't spend all your time in the pool or rinsing gear. At least that is the way it should be IMO. That is why it is best if he checks all options out before committing. Good dialogue on the board!

AZ

The dives they would be doing while in an internship would be "real world". They would be leading certified divers and assisting with classes among other DM activities. Taking into account the conditions where you will be working will be a factor. I agree the zero to hero does not get the same experience as a person diving for many years, but then again diving often in a concentrated time period may mean more than racking up 5-10 dives over 5 years. For me personally, I am in no rush and instead have broken my training into separate segments.

AZ

Diving in the "real world" means hooking up with a dive buddy(s), planning your dive, and going for it. No DM, no Instructor, just you and your friend(s).

I've never heard of nor seen anywhere where a DM in training is allowed to lead dives without the instructor. Again, this is not "real world" diving.

Personally, I'd love to see the agencies change their requirements to something like 75 dives for DM, not including any training dives and 100 dives for Instructor, not including any training dives.

I had the misfortune of experiencing one of these zero to hero DM's in Maui in Jan 05. He was scary. Did things that made absolutely no sense, one of which was dangerous. He offered a breath off his Octo to a free diver who was on the bottom. Fortunately the diver declined. Yes, I did report him to the instructor that was on the boat.

Quarrior,

I see your points! Not ideal, but again it comes down to the instructor and the person undertaking the training. The Maui guy does sound frightening. I will hit 100 with the majority my of dives being "real world dives" at least 4 months before the IDC. I don't plan on becoming an instructor for a living but mainly to run a dive club at the school I teach at and for fun. Maybe partime OW classes as well. I never drew a distinction regarding dive types as you are gaining experience on all dives.

You are right that an instructor needs to be present for indirect supervision for the DMT when leading certified divers. Even with this, it is a dive that develops experience. I am not sure how important your distinction of real world vs. privately is. Either way you are gaining experience. A good instructor will help you as much as you need. The idea of the helping hand over the fence. Just enough to get over, but not enough to be pulling you over. An apprenticeship type experience ideally.

The Maui guy sounds like he would have been a bad instructor no matter what. This may speak to an oversight issue or how he got the rating.

Thanks,

AZ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom