Roatan - damaged by hurricanes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kbaumscuba

Reaction score
I'm really itching to go diving again. I recently had a baby and didn't get to join my husband diving in Grand Cayman since I was pregnant. We're hoping to do a trip this spring and considering Roatan or Utila. I can't remember if Honduras was impacted the recent hurricanes. We went to Belize a few years ago and the San Pedro area was pretty grim due the reef damage, but we were pleased with the Turneffe Atoll once we got off shore. We're also considering Bonaire or Hawaii, so I'm curious if how the diving is in in Central America.

Any recommendations for where to stay? And how bad are the bugs if we went March/April/May?

Thanks!

I think the last significant hurricane to hit Honduras was Mitch in 98. There was Felix this year, but I don't think it caused any damage in the Bay Islands.

I have dove Roatan - Hawaii and Bonaire.

I would chose Bonaire first.

I don't think Roatan had any significant hurricane damage. That being said I have been to Roatan in October and in May. My personal opinion is that May was much better.

Back
Top Bottom