CSSP vs Athens

What's your Preference: CSSP or Athens

• CSSP

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • Athens

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all for your input. I am itching to dive soon in Texas again. As my "new to the board" post indicated, I have not dived freshwater since '94...been diving salt (hawaii, cabo, coz, bahamas, etc). I am in Houston right now and just spent an hour in the pool...Father's Day weekend so I really couldn't go TL or BL, but had to get wet.

Does anyone ever go to CSSP in the evening during the week...around 3 or 4? I would love to go this weekend, but my other (lesser) hobby is golf and I am playing in a tournement. I look forward to meeting y'all in the near future.

Hi folks,
Excuse my ignorance, but where/what is CSSP. I know where Athens is - used to live there many years ago, but can't figgure out where CSSP is. Thanks.

Bob C.

I like Athens for the "amusememt park" value (every new diver needs to do a night dive and come over a rise to illuminate a jet airplane. A real Speilberg moment!) The Rodale's article must be VERY old.

I like CSSP for most everything else.

CSSP is east of Dallas just outside of Terrell.

That article is pretty old because they still had fish in it when it was written. The amusement park part probably has not changed with the exception of the addition of the cave system. One question though, How deep is it on average. Is it really only 15 ft.

I think the actual deepest is somewhere around 27'. Most of it is 20' or less. That's why all the surrounding LDS's use it for their OW classes.

I dove Athens a couple of months ago when my wife was doing her OW cert dives. I think the deepest I ever got was 25', and that was briefly.

Having met the owners personally, I found them to be very nice and helpful. I imagine he's got insurance/liability concerns, and doesn't make the rules just to be mean. Personally, I don't have a problem with his rules anyway.

The vis ranged from tolerable to not so good. I tried to stay away from classes, and that certainly helped. For me, the 2 dives i did there were warm up refresher dives for our trip to CZM last month, and in that capacity, it was more than satisfactory.

That said, I'm hoping to go to CSSP soon as it's closer, and I really enjoy aquatic life.

I dove (or dived) Athens last year, and swore that I would never go back because of the depth and the 5 ft visibility. You had to keep looking forward so you would not run into something. Well, my friend talked me into going back yesterday. The vis was about 25 to 30 ft and didn't even come close to running into anything. I will definitely be back...

After our trip to CSSP yesterday, I think the OW classes have moved their operations over there. It's about 30 minutes closer to Dallas than Athens is.

There was about an hour wait for tank fills! ;-0

I have dived in both Athens and Clear Springs and choose CSSP by a long shot. For me, it is closer for one thing. Also, it is a living lake and that makes a big difference. Main objections to Athens:

Dead Water
Full of Chemicals
Full of Slt
No Viz
Too Hot (by August, the water is 90 degrees)

Give me a live lake with a thermocline anytime. Usually wear a 3/2 and that makes the deeper water bearable. Just bring gloves and hood for the biting fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom