Roatan reef bleaching/ health?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meh. You ain't kidding it's twice as much as Scuba Club Cozumel.

They must be fully booked up, almost.

I expect prices at AKR, CCV or Barefoot will probably be too high for me to afford by then. Inflation, ya know?

I mean hell, two and half years ago I went to AKR and full up price was like $1,250. They didn't even charge me a single diver/guest fee. It's pushing $2,000 now.
Diving will very soon join skiing in the realm of sports for the wealthiest classes only.

Read the latest AKR price offering with greater care. You missed a few things. You’re really looking closer to $2500. And.. Their “all invlusive” no longer is- you get a max of 20 dives.

Skiing Lift tickets in 1970 were $10. Now they are $225+

My first trip to Roatan cost me $650 with air from Chicago in 1984.

Maybe dive at Disney. Cheaper.

Read the latest AKR price offering with greater care. You missed a few things. You’re really looking closer to $2500. And.. Their “all invlusive” no longer is- you get a max of 20 dives.
I guess that's what happens when you build a big, fancy, upscale chow hall just so folks will quit bitching about having to walk up the stairs. Personally, I liked the hillside dining better. But I like staying up on the hillside better too. Guess you also have to subsidize Maya Key - directly under runway centerline on short final - or it is fully filled with cruise ship rats that don't know no better? Would be good if THEY paid for it.

I didn't dislike the food, but it was more "chow hall" grade than fine upscale dining they're pimping now. Wonder if the food quality went up 100%.

20 dives? If you do the 5 days of 3 tank boat dive, the Friday 2 tank run, and the two night dives, that only leaves you one of the glorious shore dives off the end of the key?

The fact remains that the conditions of reefs all over the Caribbean have been in a decline for many many years since the initial die off of Staghorn and Elkhorn corals and sea urchins in the 80s...local conditions vary depending on the level of overfishing and land pollution. However global warming is happening because of the lack of urgent action by governments and corporate entities worldwide and it will destroy the reefs because warming seas and coral reefs are incompatible. Unless we drastically change the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere we are going to continue to see these marine heat waves and more and more coral reefs will be decimated. It is depressing and its not about not having nice reefs to dive on...its about the health and future of the oceans themselves.

Have been diving in Roatan for a few years now and just got back from a quick trip a couple days ago. There is definitely some bleaching, however, it seems the reef has significantly improved from where it was a year or two ago. Still an amazing place to dive especially with the family.

I did my first "discover scuba" dive with Bananarama 25ish years ago! Your family will have a great time.

Hello, all,

Newbie here. This is my first post! I spent a week diving in Roatan 22 years ago and it was wonderful. Crystal clear water, unbelievable colors in the corals, and so many beautiful fish. I've been dreaming of returning ever since then. I'm planning a trip back to Roatan (finally!) with my three daughters - ages 19, 17, and 13 to get them certified in March. I have read that the reef is now severely bleached and many of the hard corals are suffering from disease. This saddens me greatly. Has anyone been diving there recently? What can I expect? Does this mean most of the colors are gone from the corals? What about the number of colorful fish? Are some of the reefs in better shape than others? We will be staying in West Bay and will be limited to dives of 40 feet because of the 13yo.

Thank you everyone in advance for your responses.

Hello, all,

Newbie here. This is my first post! I spent a week diving in Roatan 22 years ago and it was wonderful. Crystal clear water, unbelievable colors in the corals, and so many beautiful fish. I've been dreaming of returning ever since then. I'm planning a trip back to Roatan (finally!) with my three daughters - ages 19, 17, and 13 to get them certified in March. I have read that the reef is now severely bleached and many of the hard corals are suffering from disease. This saddens me greatly. Has anyone been diving there recently? What can I expect? Does this mean most of the colors are gone from the corals? What about the number of colorful fish? Are some of the reefs in better shape than others? We will be staying in West Bay and will be limited to dives of 40 feet because of the 13yo.

Thank you everyone in advance for your responses.
I’ve taken about nine trips to Roatan in the past four years, and while it is true that bleaching has progressed alarmingly, you can still have a glorious dive experience. I was last there in December and I’m heading back again in May. We did see a HUGE bait ball in December that rivaled ones I’ve seen in the Sea of Cortez in Baja Sur, and plenty of fish. The reef is under stress but VERY worth diving!! I hope you and your daughters have a glorious time! I’ve taken 2 of my children and six of my grandchildren there to dive. #Benacdivers

I was there in Jan. There is definitely bleaching on the hard corals, and some are dead with algae. But not all are bleached or dead and it’s still some really beautiful diving.

Here is some video from my trip. You can see the sites in case you know them and have a reference point and you can see a mix of white patches and some still very healthy reef in the video.

Did not see this thread until now. I dived Roatan in early January. Bleaching was evident, heavier in some places than others, but I agree with your assessment plenty of life and color.

Attachments

• 0726test.jpg
    0726test.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 0723test.jpg
    0723test.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 0739test.jpg
    0739test.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 22
I haven't checked this thread for a couple of weeks. Thanks, everyone for your updates. Pat S. the video is great! I'm counting down the days before we go. My daughters are working on the online part of the open water diving certification. I'll provide a report when we return!

Back
Top Bottom