Maryland woman dies in Key Largo 12-30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More reasons for dive boats to purchase an AED. They are down to about 1000 bucks now. Idiot proof and requires no training whatsoever. Older models with older protocols can be had for about 500 bucks, but still work.

Batteries are good for 3 years installed, and 5 years in package.

I'd say, if you advertised that your dive ops have aeds on board, you'd increase traffic flow that might make the investment worthwhile.

Although we'd not know cause of death till an autopsy, my gut feeling (greater than 50% chance) is coronary artery disease and a myocardial infarction. But the family might not want an autopsy.

Back on the boat, moments after the dive... I'd say A.G.E. Sucks.

It was a bad two days in the Keys

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-flfscuba0101sbjan01,0,7203532.story

KEY LARGO - Monroe County Sheriff's officials say two people died in separate diving incidents on Sunday and Monday.

A 51-year-old Wisconsin man was on his second dive Monday with the Gulf Stream Eagle out of the Atlantis Dive Center when he was found face down near the surface of the water, according to the Sheriff's Office. He was pulled aboard the boat, crew members started CPR and the Coast Guard was called. The man, who was not identified pending notification of relatives, was pronounced dead at 12:30 p.m.

On Sunday afternoon, Nancy Kreiter, of Bel Air, Md., was diving with her family in John Pennekamp State Park. Her husband told officials that she had wanted to learn to dive for 10 years and that they and their two children took scuba lessons together to fulfill that dream. They became certified just two days before her death.

After surfacing, witnesses say, Kreiter swam back to the commercial boat they were with and collapsed. Another dive boat nearby took her to shore, where paramedics awaited. She was pronounced dead shortly after.

Well, we don't know for sure what killed this lady or many of the others who have died unexpectedly while diving for some unexplained reason but many will probably think that she was not in good condition and over-exerted herself therby having a heart attack. Those are my thoughts exactly. When I started diving at the age of 66 the first thing that I did, after doing the in-pool routine was to go to a doctor for a complete examination including a stress test and re-evaluation of all medications I was taking to insure that my heart and lungs would stand up to the rigors of diving and that I would have no adverse reactions from my meds. After this I did the OW dives. When my C-card arrived I hired a lady instructor in South Florida to go out with me to do several days of shallow reef dives to get accustomed to the salt water and correct procedures for entering and exiting the water along with buoyancy control. After about a dozen dives I figured that I was OK to dive and probably would stay alive in the near term if I kept this crazy stuff up and I have. Most people probably don't know their physical limitations and should have them evaluated before trying any type of extended exertion.

You're right Garrobo. I think that EVERYONE should have a complete physical before beginning anything new that could put stress on their body. As a nurse, I've seen MANY very healthy looking individuals that were found to have problems that they didn't know about that could be life threatening if left unchecked!

I've always had my family go in for their annual physicals near their birthday. Happy Birthday, huh!? (But you never forget when you have to have it done!)

Garrobo - very positive and proactive approach to mitigating risk. impressive. shame more don't adopt akin techniques.

I'd say, if you advertised that your dive ops have aeds on board, you'd increase traffic flow that might make the investment worthwhile.

....or, you might attract more than your share of divers who conceal their heart problems.

Never underestimate the stupidity of some people.

I do wish more boats carried them. I think it's going to become more common.

The Herald combined the two stories and ran them today. I made the sections bold that I felt were pertinent to the outcome of the incidents. Reading the Herald's story, it doesn't look like the woman had a MI but more likely an AGE or pneumothorax trauma.

Two die while scuba diving in Keys - 01/01/2008 - MiamiHerald.com

THE KEYS
Two die while scuba diving in Keys
Two visitors to the Upper Keys died in unrelated scuba diving incidents.
Posted on Tue, Jan. 01, 2008

BY CAMMY CLARK
cclark@MiamiHerald.com

KEY LARGO --
Two separate commercial scuba trips in the Upper Keys ended tragically the past two days with the death Sunday of a 50-year-old woman from Maryland and the death Monday of a 51-year-old man from Wisconsin, according to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.

''It's not that unusual considering the [number] of visitors in the Keys during the holiday season,'' said sheriff's homicide detective Terry Smith, who is investigating both cases.

On Sunday, Nancy Kreiter of Bel Air, Md., had just completed a dive at the Benwood Wreck about five miles off Key Largo.

She took off her fins and began climbing the ladder into the commercial dive boat, Reef Adventures.

She suddenly stopped breathing, collapsing into the water around 4 p.m.

The boat's crew got her into the vessel and performed CPR until a nearby faster boat from Quiescence Diving Services came on the scene and took her to shore.

Paramedics met the boat at Port Largo Homeowners Park, where Kreiter was pronounced dead.

In Monday's diving incident, the name of the male victim from Marinetta, Wis., is being withheld until his family has been notified.

The man was diving on the Gulf Stream Eagle out of the Atlantis Dive Center and had already completed one dive on the Duane Wreck.

He got into trouble during his second dive on the nearby Bibb Wreck. They are sister 327-foot Coast Guard cutters submerged about five miles off the coast of Key Largo.

The man's diving buddy, Randy Gray, whom he met on the boat, told investigators they had been in the water about 25 minutes and were surfacing. They did a safety stop and Gray said he left about a minute before the victim did.

Gray said he surfaced and was getting help removing his equipment from a crew member when they noticed the victim face down near the surface.

The man was pulled on board and crew members began performing CPR. The Coast Guard responded to a distress call and took the victim to shore, where he was pronounced dead at about 12:30 p.m.

Autopsies will be performed on both victims to determine cause of death.

For Kreiter, it was a tragic end to a 10-year dream to learn to dive. Her husband, David Clissold, told deputies that his wife and two children all came to the Keys to learn diving.

The family became open-water certified two days earlier at the John Pennekamp State Park dive shop.

Kreiter was paired with her 14-year-old son, Tyler, and Clissold was diving with their 20-year-old daughter, Kara.

They were exploring the wreck of the Benwood, a cargo ship that was transporting phosphate rocks when it collided with another ship and was then torpedoed by a German submarine during World War II.

Smith said Tyler took his mom's death particularly hard, especially considering he was her dive buddy.

Clissold told deputies his wife had no major medical problems, but had been taking ibuprofen for a chest cold in which congestion was so bad she had torn cartilage from her ribs while coughing, Monroe County Sheriff's spokeswoman Becky Herrin said.

In 2007, there were 14 diving-related deaths in the Keys -- 11 involving scuba diving and three involving free diving.

Among them were three men from New Jersey who died while diving the USS Spiegel Grove off Key Largo in March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom