Maryland woman dies in Key Largo 12-30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Benwood *is* an easy dive. 25 to 45 feet (unless you stray to a dropoff a distance from the wreck). And you typically just follow the skeletal remains out and back.

I'd have trouble believing you'd exert yourself more on that dive, than you might on a brisk walk around your block, current and lousy surface conditions notwithstanding.

If it turns out to be an MI, then it's a heart attack while diving... *not* a SCUBA accident. Might have just as easily been a heart attack while bike riding, or climbing he stairs... (How is it you never hear of those insidious "GOLFING accidents" every time someone drops dead on the course, after walking miles, up and down hills, in 95 degree heat?).

If the "really bad congestion" turns out to be the contributing culprit, I'd have to question what in the world she was doing diving, especially considering what she surely had learned about in that regard, during OW training, just days earlier.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear it happened on what should have been the fulfillment of a dream.

P.S. I agree... An on-board AED should be as mandatory as an O2 bottle.

There is though one point that horrified me. She just finished her OWD and was diving without an instructor with 13 yo kid, freshly certified as well?????
This is highly irresponsible to be honest.

Mania

Why is that irresponsible? She was certified as was her kid, the Benwood is very easy dive and considered good for beginners. Is a new diver always expected to hire a guide or instructor even after they are certified? How many times are they expected to hire a guide? 20? 30? until they are not considered "irresponsible." If she had died on the Grove or the Duane, then maybe I could agree with you. But the Benwood is in shallow water well within OW depths. The fact is she died while climbing the ladder. How would an instructor have helped?

Does anyone have any information on the more inexpensive AED options and any advise for someone looking to get into one...?

You know, we lost a very experienced cave diver in a mine (I think) last year, because he had an undiagnosed lung mass that was causing obstruction, and he embolized because of it. Reading about this lady's illness makes me VERY suspicious of AGE as a mechanism of death, and it should remind ALL of us that there is NOTHING down there worth dying for. If you've been ill and are still coughing or wheezy, you just shouldn't dive. You can't know how much or how little obstruction mucus or bronchospasm are causing, and the risks you take are lethal ones.

I dove the Benwood three times, the last time with my son. I wonder if the surface was rough. I agree, a beginner, even if an adult, should not be diving with a newly certified 13 years old. Too many bad things can happen to any new divers, especially young ones.

I made sure I took rescue before getting my son certified, and he still dives within arms reach of me. If anything, it will teach him good buddy skills for the future.

The "back to the boat with 500 psi" rule should be changed to 1000 psi with beginners especially when we are certifying people with minimal or no swimming skills. I can envision a new diver hanging on to the trailing line, trying to remove his/her fin, then loose grip of the line in 2 to 3 foot waves. Trying to swim after the boat with 2 fins in one hand, and no fins on your feet is an ardous physical task. Now trying to do that without a reg in your mouth or with a snorkel..... Unfortunately, this skill is only learn with hard experience.... But this is the norm for diving in the keys, it seems like.

I can envision a new diver hanging on to the trailing line, trying to remove his/her fin, then loose grip of the line in 2 to 3 foot waves. Trying to swim after the boat with 2 fins in one hand, and no fins on your feet is an ardous physical task. Now trying to do that without a reg in your mouth or with a snorkel..... Unfortunately, this skill is only learn with hard experience.... But this is the norm for diving in the keys, it seems like.

Do you know that's what happened or is this just speculation?? :rolleyes:

I've never took a "boat dive specialty course". But it seems like there are so many preventable accidents and mistakes on dive boats.

To me, the most stressful part of a boat dive is the entry, and exit, with the exit being the most dangerous even in 2 foot waves.

It amazes me how often divers come on the boat with no air in their tank. The excuse is, "I had 500 when I surfaced, but used it up swimming back to the boat."

For a beginner, the safest exit and climbing back on board is with a regulator in the mouth. This eases the fin removal, the climb, and management of the rocking motion of heavy waves. This is why I believe that beginners should exit with 1000 psi, especially in rough sea, and when your swimming skill is less than competent.

Do you know that's what happened or is this just speculation?? :rolleyes:

Just speculation, as I've dove with Atlantis, the dive opt noted in the article. I've dove with 3 other dive shops, and the exit protocol is the same for the other 3 in Key Largo.

There is though one point that horrified me. She just finished her OWD and was diving without an instructor with 13 yo kid, freshly certified as well?????
This is highly irresponsible to be honest.

Mania

I am sure the family will appreciate your honesty and candor when they read that. :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom