Pro-5000 Diver How Many On Board? When Awarded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Since early 1990s SSI has recognized at the DEMA gathering divers who have completed 5000 or more dives in their career.

It would be interesting since there are so many experts on this SCUBA board to learn how many of these experts have have been awarded the SSI PRO 5000?

Don't be bashful --step right up

sdm

Platinum card... got that one. (1000 dives)
Platinum Pro 5000? Only about 3000 to go for me, may I live so long :D
Rick

Jerry Beach (our regulator mechanic) has one so old it doesn't have a picture and it is tattered around the edges.

Do teaching dives count, or is this 5000 recreational dives?
Sure - teaching dives in the open water count (your tub dives don't :D) - in fact, there's a Pro 5000 instructor card as well, which you can get with 5000 instructor points (depending on what the class is, and how many students you have in a class, you can get more than one point per dive, so you can earn the Pro 5000 instructor card with less than 5000 dives).
You can also get a Platinum Pro 5000 card with less than 5000 dives if you've made a major contribution to the Scuba industry, and some of the best known names in Scuba have them that way.
Either way, it's an elite "club" of Scuba's finest - I doubt I'll ever get to it. But I'd like to :).
Rick

Since early 1990s SSI has recognized at the DEMA gathering divers who have completed 5000 or more dives in their career.

It would be interesting since there are so many experts on this SCUBA board to learn how many of these experts have have been awarded the SSI PRO 5000?

Don't be bashful --step right up

sdm

Is this a measure of expertise? If so, how?

I get it..."DEMA", "SSI" and "expert" all in the same post...this was meant as a joke right Sam?

Sure - teaching dives in the open water count (your tub dives don't :D) - in fact, there's a Pro 5000 instructor card as well, which you can get with 5000 instructor points (depending on what the class is, and how many students you have in a class, you can get more than one point per dive, so you can earn the Pro 5000 instructor card with less than 5000 dives).
You can also get a Platinum Pro 5000 card with less than 5000 dives if you've made a major contribution to the Scuba industry, and some of the best known names in Scuba have them that way.
Either way, it's an elite "club" of Scuba's finest - I doubt I'll ever get to it. But I'd like to :).
Rick

Contributions to the "industry" can get you a card that Sam seems to be suggesting denotes diving expertise? Why am I not surprised?

I should have read your post better before I asked Sam how this is a measure of diving expertise because you answered my question.

I doubt I'll ever get to it. But I'd like to :).
Rick

But Rick, rather than weighting things by how many students certified or contributions to the industry (or whatever) they weight them based on the expertise required and demonstrated on your dives, or even a measure of how WELL your students dive, you might have a shot at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom