Has anyone tried ScubaPro's MK 19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed, I didn't end up going through with the bye, but the price was unbeatable ($100 can for the reg set and gauges). I'll hold out for a mk17 or 19

I'd think hard about passing on it. The S550 is excellent and well worth the $100 Canadian on it's own (even hough that it probably $200 US). Also even though the Mk 16 is not fully sealed, it is very relaible in very cold water and is in fact a good choice for ice diving. The ambient chamber is very open and there is enough heat transfer to prevent a freeze up if you have anything approaching good cold water techniques.

Unfortunately, gone are the days when $100 CN meant less than $100 U.S.!

Still, it's far lower than you would normally see the reg on ebay, so you should buy it, try, and if you don't like it, you can sell it an make a little money.

Indeed, I didn't end up going through with the bye, but the price was unbeatable ($100 can for the reg set and gauges). I'll hold out for a mk17 or 19

Dude, that is a VERY good price! I'ld take DA's advice and purchase the set. Although I would prefer the MK17(for cold water), the MK16 is a very good reg too and the S550 is worth the price alone. If you don't want it, PM me and I will take it.

Availability of the Mk19 is somewhat less than clear...at least to me.

Any mention of the Mk19 disappeared from Scubapro's website late last year

Further, my LDS enquired as to MK19 US availability, to which Scubapro US responded "the Mk19 is destined for limited release: specifically UK ONLY"

I'd think hard about passing on it. The S550 is excellent and well worth the $100 Canadian on it's own (even hough that it probably $200 US). Also even though the Mk 16 is not fully sealed, it is very relaible in very cold water and is in fact a good choice for ice diving. The ambient chamber is very open and there is enough heat transfer to prevent a freeze up if you have anything approaching good cold water techniques.

I have the MK11/R395 Reg would it also be a good cold water reg, its the same as MK17 but no Enviro sealed Chamber

Hi I recently bought a scubapro mk25 and s555 did a bit of research and found that the SP mk25 more than adequately performs in cold water tests but then i found out that there have been cases of the mk25 freezing up in cold temperatures. ill mostly be using this reg summers in the northeast Atlantic and in the Caribbean. I was wondering if anyone has dived these regs in colder water like 45-60 degrees with these or a similar setup. thanks for any info and anything they can recommend as i am new to cold water diving

Hi I recently bought a scubapro mk25 and s555 did a bit of research and found that the SP mk25 more than adequately performs in cold water tests but then i found out that there have been cases of the mk25 freezing up in cold temperatures. ill mostly be using this reg summers in the northeast Atlantic and in the Caribbean. I was wondering if anyone has dived these regs in colder water like 45-60 degrees with these or a similar setup. thanks for any info and anything they can recommend as i am new to cold water diving

It'll be fine. Really cold water is sub 40F.

I dive with my mk25 in water as cold as 35F, sometimes even super chilled down to 32-33. As long as it is salt water, my mk25 has been fine. Freshwater I will pretty much guarantee you an mk25 will freeze in those kinds of temperatures, which mine did just two weeks ago. I want to set myself up with a winter reg set.

Hi there - I'm new here, and signed on when I read this post. Good to meet you all.

I dive with MK19s and G250Vs here in the UK, and I must say I love them. I had a quick dive with them when someone I know was beta testing them last springtime, and was lucky enough to be able to compare the breathe quality underwater with MK25/S600s, Apeks Black Diamonds and my own Mares Proton Ice regs - all great regulators in their own right. I thought that the Mk19/G250v was the smoothest of them, although to be fair there really was little between the two SP's and the Apeks. The Mares needs a bit more of a positive action to breathe from I've always found, something I got very used to, but I was really impressed with the G250s, and the combination of the excellent hose routing for twin sets (same as Mk25 of course) and the sealed first stages really nailed it for me, so I put in my order there and then.

They didn't turn up for ages - September or so. I've done about 20 dives on them in cold water (down to 4ºC - brrr!) and I absolutely love them. The breathe quality is silky smooth throughout, and I've had no problems with them at all. My buddy's Mk25 / S600s have freeflowed at depth in cold water in the past but not at the same time as I've been diving my G250s, so I can't really say for certain if mine are less prone to freeflowing than his are, but I am more comfortable having a sealed system in cold water for sure.

I was told while I was waiting for them to be released properly that they were being focussed on the German market - lots of cold water divers there - and to get hold of them I had to badger my dealer who did the same to Scubapro UK for months. Maybe it would be worth talking to your local dive store to see if they could do the same? I can't recommend these regs enough, I'm delighted with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom