Karma When Dealing with LDSs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lenmonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Here's my problem. I beginning to narrow down my choices for computer, reg, and exposure suit. However, each of my choices is only carried by different LDSs, and additionally, many of the LDSs seem to sort of downplay or even bad-mouth brands I'm interested in.

Specifically, I think I want:

Atomic ST1 regulator
Oceanic Atom 2 computer
White's Fusion Drysuit

Not sure of my BC but know I want a back-inflate, and maybe even a backplate/wing.

The place I went today that carries the drysuit is telling me that Oceanic computers are super unreliable, so they don't carry them anymore. One of the regulators I'm potentially interested in, a ScubaPro seems to be over $100 over the price quoted in ScubaDiving mag's test labs.

I'm worried about buying a reg from someone, but then having someone else service it. Plus, now that our lovely governor has added yet another 1% sales tax, we're talking about 6% sales tax, so buying $3K worth of stuff is another $200 in tax.

Any thoughts?

Oh...one more thing...ScubaToys carries all of the gear except for the dry suit. I bought my original fins and boots from them, and their customer service was awesome. So in some ways, I'd consider them my LDS. Do people buy mail order but get their gear serviced locally? Is this cool?

First, keep shopping.

Second, perhaps you should rent some different gear to get a better idea of what is out there. Get in a few more dives.

Third, about that sales tax... Don't complain. Here in Chicago the sales tax is going up to, I think 10.25%.

I can't answer most of your questions but I can chime in a couple.

1. I have an oceanic computer and haven't had any trouble with it...I believe they are very reliable as does my LDS (who I did not buy it from because they were not open yet).

2. Lots of people buy things online and get it serviced locally. I think scubatoys does servicing too, but you have to pay shipping and it might take a bit longer. If your local shop gives you an attitude about servicing equipment that was bought online just don't take it there. You can also tell them you got it at another shop because some shops have a major problem with the whole "online" thing. You might want to ask if they price match with online shops...some places do, and those that don't are stupid. My shop is actually usually cheaper than online so I don't have that issue anymore. I can check the price of the Oceanic Atom next time I'm in the shop and if it's cheaper than Scubatoys maybe you could take a road trip down here to save some money (plus shipping). We're about 90 minutes from Baltimore. VA also has a lower sales tax...5% I belive...

My shop doesn't carry atomic, and I don't think they carry Whites. They do carry DUI though, which is the arguably the best drysuit company. Is there a reason you are going with whites instead of DUI (if it's price that is understandable). DUI is now offering 12 months no interest, so that makes it more doable. They do demo days as well so you can try out the different styles before you buy and they are doing one in Dutch Springs May 17 and 18th.

PM me if you want any other info.

Most of my gear has been purchased online (ScubaToys, DiveSports and LP) or used and I've had no problems. I have my regulator service done by ScubaToys and they've done a great job for me. For what it's worth, I have nearly 100 dives on my Atomic regs and Oceanic Versa Pro. I love the way the Atomics breathe and have had no problems with the Oceanic.

Happy shopping.

I'm worried about buying a reg from someone, but then having someone else service it.
Any thoughts?

I've bought many things from ST. Never had an issue with servicing anything including my B2 and Z1 regs. I'm not sure why you think that it will be a problem? I ship my Poseidons for service in Maryland and I'm in NJ.

Thanks, everyone...ST...time to warm up my credit card ;-) As far as Gary's comment, I agree with you, but most of the LDSs don't seem to rent lots of different gear to really try. They have their stock gear that they rent, and don't have a big fleet of demo stuff...at least the places locally I've seen. So I've done a lot of Internet research, etc. I want to dive a lot locally, because even though I'm going to be making at least two warm water trips a year, I know I'll be diving local quarries and wrecks, and again, rental gear, unless it's what I actually want, doesn't seem to help me reach a further decision.

Don't take any crap from the LDS about where you may (or may not) purchase gear, and if they inquire just tell them you're testing the gear out for future purchases only. They'll respect your interest in staying flexible and open-minded and should appreciate your rental business.

If you do foolishly let on you've purchased gear online, and they give you any crap, tell them it's none of their business where you bought your gear and take your business elsewhere. Their business is to provide you services you so desire, when you wish, and they can pound sand if they have a problem with that.

There's nothing wrong with exploring your options, having service done locally with your airfills and certification courses, and maybe buying some gear online. Remember, this is YOUR discretionary income and the LDS has no right to be judgmental about your cash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom