Headed to Roatan next week - Looking for Last minute suggestions!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BelikinMan

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are coming in on the 16th and leaving on the 23rd. We are booked at Luna Beach for the week and quite frankly, we are very excited. Taxi ride and other stuff is pretty much taken care of (thanks Scubaboard!).

I am a diver and like to spend my entire morning in the water. My wife is NOT a diver and loves to sit on the beach and read. We usually go our separate ways after breakfast and then meet up after lunch. I can usually get two tanks in the morning but this time, I am looking for multiple night dives.

So here's my questions...

1) I was going to do a majority of my dives with Luna Beach's dive shop but wanted to get out and do some dive with some other outfits. Coconut Tree is #1 on the list and I was thinking about doing a 2 tank and a night dive with them. After reading about the shark dive, it looks like I will be doing that as well. Any other specific dives or dive outfits you guys can suggest?

2) Wife and I are going to do the dolphin encounter thingy at AKR. Other than the canopy tour, are there any other musts for excursions?

3) Whale sharks. I gotta see a whale shark. Am I going to need to get closer to Utila for this to happen or is it just like everything else - a crap shoot?

Thanks!!

My wife is NOT a diver and loves to sit on the beach and read.

Don't forget the suntan oil. That, and the bug spray.

but this time, I am looking for multiple night dives.

This is going to be a tough one from the West End.. If you hit the water with a normally scheduled night dive, the day dive ops will want to get you in and back pretty early. Your second dive, an admirable goal, will likely be only accomplished as a private charter. Not as expensive as it sounds, but it is a solitary pursuit, those 10 pm dives. Night Dives are a every-day-of-the week common scene at CoCoView, but night diving so consistently otherwise an island rarity. Most West End dive ops offer them on a specific day of the week with a 4 diver minimum to go. Filling your dance ticket might be a problem.

Alternatively, grab a DM you like and tell him to have your gear and tanks on the dock and have him hire a water taxi. Not as expensive as it sounds. He will likely take you to some cool places. Are you ready for that kind of hondo adventure?

If you meant one dive per night over multiple days, you'll have to do some running around and find out who is going out on what given days, probably you'll get some West End savvy guys advising you here.

So here's my questions...

1) I was going to do a majority of my dives with Luna Beach's dive shop but wanted to get out and do some dive with some other outfits. Coconut Tree is #1 on the list and I was thinking about doing a 2 tank and a night dive with them. After reading about the shark dive, it looks like I will be doing that as well. Any other specific dives or dive outfits you guys can suggest?

You're going to get several, but I would also throw in for Subway. Further on the night dive vein, you would do well to contact the nearby AI Resorts- they will likely run a boat every night. Ask them for a multiple night package price.

2) Wife and I are going to do the dolphin encounter thingy at AKR. Other than the canopy tour, are there any other musts for excursions?

The 'encounter' is surely the way to go over the 'dive'. Never considered those "musts" in-and-of themselves :eyebrow: You can feed the Iguanas, ride the horses, the botanic gardens or do a water taxi mangrove boat/bar tour... now that's a good time. You did know that there is more than just one canopy zip-line tour, yes?

i am no big fan of canned shark dives, but the Italians at Dixon Cove's Wiakuha Dive put on a good show.

3) Whale sharks. I gotta see a whale shark. Am I going to need to get closer to Utila for this to happen or is it just like everything else - a crap shoot?

Whale Sharks are like LOVE. When you are looking for it, you'll not find it.

There is one Utila outfiut with a $1000 Whale Shark Guarantee. After you buy a dive, throw down the dough and if they don't present you with one- you get the $1000 cheerfully refunded :wink:

Got the bug spray. :D

I meant one dive per night on multiple days. I already got emails going out! Figure I could find a local who knows.

Thanks for the reply!

I think it's a mistake to count on whalesharks even if you were staying the whole time on Utila. If I were in your position and only had a week, I wouldn't spend part of it traveling back and forth to another island; save that for another trip.

If you and/or your wife enjoy hiking, the Carambola Reserve is lovely (Sandy Bay area just east of West End).

Have a wonderful trip and be sure to tell us all about it!

Have a wonderful trip and be sure to tell us all about it!

I am going to try to write for at least 30 minutes every day about my experience. I am also planning on diving with multiple shops as well, so hopefully I will be able to give a well-rounded review.

I am going to try to write for at least 30 minutes every day about my experience. I am also planning on diving with multiple shops as well, so hopefully I will be able to give a well-rounded review.

We, who are to follow, salute you.

Our group descends upon Roatan on the 15th of March. Looking forward to the trip.

....Other than the canopy tour, are there any other musts for excursions?
quote]

If you have the money, the time, and the inclination the deapsea submarine trip/ride was said to be fantastic by the one person in our group who was $$$ enough to go. See/google stanley submarines foir more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom