Keeping EFR current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took EFR back in March '07 and completed Rescue last August, but I definitely plan on taking EFR every couple years to keep it current as long as I'm actively diving...

I see it as a responsibility to those I may dive with that my EFR skills are as sharp as possible, same with Rescue skills, should the need to use them ever arise.

As a rescue diver I kept mine current, but now as a professional there's no choice- it has to be current. I decided to become an EFR instructor- partially to complement my other pro ratings and part to help others keep current with their skills.

Keeping EFR current is slightly difficult due to the fact its the course that seems to have lowest demand of the lot. In 2 years ive taught exactly one EFR course.

I maintain my EMT-P and CPR Instructor, which PADI accepted as an alternative to their EFR (grudgingly, I might add) for my DM. Taking the class and subsequent refreshers is good, but finding a situation where you use the skills regularly so responses become automatic is, IMHO, better.

It has been 2 years for us so it's a timely question.

For as superficial as the PADI EFR course was I'm leaning toward something else either as a course or self study.

I do not have a professional status requiring a current credential.

I also plan to order an O2 kit soon. Taking the class was good but owning the equipment hand having thee chance to fumble with it from time to time will be valuable.

Pete

I keep current by teaching at least 1 EFR class a year. Usually more but at least 1. Also by teaching DAN Classes.

I find PADI EFR too superficial, and inadequate. I am not saying that AHA or Redcross is better. But when instruction is less detailed than what I teach boy scout students.... We need a higher standard.

I want to see more focused on the possibilities of injuries on divers and boaters: Management of limb amputation, limb arterial bleed, methods for splinting, and bandaging techniques for the head, face, and limb.

In effect - much higher requirements than other EFR programs. I suggest that they improve their DVD/video, to make up for what the instructors are lacking. Very sad when my EFR instructor does not have any bandages for student to practice on. How can you call that a first aid class?? All you need is a few tampons and few acewraps.

The recent modifications by the AHA made me check my EFR. I found that mine had expired about 2 months ago. I'm planning on taking a refresher course this summer.

EFR is kind of shallow. In the past I was an EMT-B. I incorporate several parts of that into EFR to provide a more informative class. There's nothing that says you can't supplement the basic standards they want you to teach.

Back
Top Bottom