Keeping EFR current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 2 times I've taken it each were one night classes. Neither did anything with bandaging. More should be done. I read a page or 2 of the EFR manual daily, in case I ever have to assist someone. I think for professionals there should be a written test at least once a year, and a 5 minute run-through giving the dummy rescue breaths and CPR. This would keep everyone's skills a lot sharper IMO, than a required "course" every 2 years. And I doubt it would cost $90.

Hi:

I hope to one day complete the PADI Rescue Diver course (no time soon, I'm afraid). From the website it'll require:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Successful completion of a sanctioned CPR program within the past 24 months. The Emergency First Response Primary Care (CPR) and Secondary Care (First Aid) courses meet these requirements.[/FONT][/FONT]
So I imagine many people who take EFR do so to meet criteria for the Rescue Diver course & certification. So, you may ask, what does that change.

Well, from threads I've seen on ScubaBoard.com, the Rescue Diver course comes highly recommend to improve peoples diving competence/skill, not just to get trained to intervene in other peoples emergencies. I also suspect some people pursue higher level certifications like Rescue Diver for the same reason others climb mountains; 'Because it's there.'

So, if a person's motivation for certifying with EFR isn't really to intervene in such crisis situations, then maintaining the certification after having achieved a lifetime certification in the true goal (e.g.: Rescue Diver) might seem unimportant.

It's politically incorrect/distasteful to some, but not everyone wants or is willing to 'get involved.'

Richard.

I maintain my EMT-P and CPR Instructor, which PADI accepted as an alternative to their EFR (grudgingly, I might add) for my DM. Taking the class and subsequent refreshers is good, but finding a situation where you use the skills regularly so responses become automatic is, IMHO, better.

I am mildly surprised they accepted your Paramedic cert at all - I have talked with divers that PADI (or, perhaps, the instructor representing PADI) did not accept a National Registry EMT-P as "equivalent training".

All the best, James

When I did mine, my paramedic credentials and AHA CPR certs were accepted without comment. I think I had dropped the National Registry by then, so it was just New York state.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom