Just got back from Nekton Rorqual to Medio Reef, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everybody!
We just got back last night so I only have time right now for a quick post to let you all know that the Medio Reef itinerary is FABULOUS. No kidding, some of the best diving we have ever done. The reefs are pristine, fishlife abundant, big stuff and small stuff......... sharks, sharks, turtles, sharks.... and did I say sharks? :D:D:D

Today we are washing equipment and downloading all our photos and videos..... editing will commence soon. I will have a BIG BIG BIG report to share. :D:D

The Rorqual crew is fantastic and runs like a well-oiled machine. It is great to see such a great dynamic on a liveaboard with everyone focused on making everyone happy. Capt Tucker was awesome and always asked every diver at each site how they liked it and what they would suggest for next dive site. We didn't do a regular schedule as most sites were't too far from each other - so sometimes we did one deep am dive, then moved the boat to a shallower site and stayed for 2-3 dives, then moved again to another site if everyone wanted. It was nice to see the guests having so much influence!

Some sites were so good that everyone asked to go back and repeat them, so we did! They put down 2 new mooring pins as we were diving and we scouted a few new sites where they will put down pins this week (as they are doing Medio again). We even got to name the 2 new sites we pinned. :D

So anyone thinking about doing a trip this summer in the Caribbean, think about this one. Medio was gorgeous, I can't even describe how gorgeous the sites were as well as the fishlife. I think everyone onboard agreed it might be the most beautiful reefs we have ever seen in Caribbean. That says alot.

Oh, and did I mention we had baby sharks??? Tehehehehe
Two of the new sites are nurseries, it appears. :D
more later.

:Drobin:D

Great to hear, Robin - thanks for taking the time! My son and I will dive from the Nekton Pilot on Medio Reef the week of May 10, and I'm looking forward to a great week. This will be our second trip with Nekton and if it's half as good as our first trip with them, it'll be a fantastic week.

Hi everybody!
We just got back last night so I only have time right now for a quick post to let you all know that the Medio Reef itinerary is FABULOUS. No kidding, some of the best diving we have ever done. The reefs are pristine, fishlife abundant, big stuff and small stuff......... sharks, sharks, turtles, sharks.... and did I say sharks? :D:D:D

Today we are washing equipment and downloading all our photos and videos..... editing will commence soon. I will have a BIG BIG BIG report to share. :D:D

The Rorqual crew is fantastic and runs like a well-oiled machine. It is great to see such a great dynamic on a liveaboard with everyone focused on making everyone happy. Capt Tucker was awesome and always asked every diver at each site how they liked it and what they would suggest for next dive site. We didn't do a regular schedule as most sites were't too far from each other - so sometimes we did one deep am dive, then moved the boat to a shallower site and stayed for 2-3 dives, then moved again to another site if everyone wanted. It was nice to see the guests having so much influence!

Some sites were so good that everyone asked to go back and repeat them, so we did! They put down 2 new mooring pins as we were diving and we scouted a few new sites where they will put down pins this week (as they are doing Medio again). We even got to name the 2 new sites we pinned. :D

So anyone thinking about doing a trip this summer in the Caribbean, think about this one. Medio was gorgeous, I can't even describe how gorgeous the sites were as well as the fishlife. I think everyone onboard agreed it might be the most beautiful reefs we have ever seen in Caribbean. That says alot.

Oh, and did I mention we had baby sharks??? Tehehehehe
Two of the new sites are nurseries, it appears. :D
more later.

:Drobin:D

========================================

That's great news Robin ...

We were scheduled to be on the Cay Sal Banks itinerary in late May but I had a sudden and totally enigmatic heart attack in early March so we had to push back for this year. Working the rehab very hard and hoping to be cleared for diving in about a year ...so we might tentatively put the Medio itineary on our 2009 list.

Just curious ...what were your average depths ??

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger (Mark)

========================================

That's great news Robin ...

We were scheduled to be on the Cay Sal Banks itinerary in late May but I had a sudden and totally enigmatic heart attack in early March so we had to push back for this year. Working the rehab very hard and hoping to be cleared for diving in about a year ...so we might tentatively put the Medio itineary on our 2009 list.

Just curious ...what were your average depths ??

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger (Mark)

Sorry to hear about your heart! Wow, that's scary.

The average depths for the reefs were about 45-65', but we had a few where you could go deeper (60-90') but no pins set yet on those. It is a very good trip for anyone not wanting to go deep. They hope to find a shallower site in the area (maybe 20-40' depth) and get a pin set. It takes all day to set a pin so they really don't plan to set more than 2 per week, however we liked one site so much we did it 5 dives! Seriously, it was that good. :D

robin:D

Hi Robin....nice to hear you had a great trip and am very much looking forward to the extended trip report. As you know I enjoyed my Belize sailing on the Pilot so I do want to try one or more of the Bahamian itineraries in the future.

Glad you enjoyed it--I got to dive some of Medio when we brought the Nekton Cachalot down to Cay Lobos about five years ago for a mooring trip. While I enjoyed Cay Lobos more, we didn't spend as much time on Medio as I would have liked. The two things that were memorable in my log book were lots of sharks (mostly reef, but a few bulls and a big tiger), and the biggest lobsters I had ever seen in my life.

I'm glad the diving was great and I'm even happier to hear that it sounds like all the crew issues have been addressed. I', m looking forward to reading your trip report. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Hi Robin,

I am scheduled for the Rorqual's NW Bahamas trip this weekend.

During your trip, was the Nitrox compressor working so that Nitrox was available for divers?

Thank you.

redseal1tx

Hi Robin,

I am scheduled for the Rorqual's NW Bahamas trip this weekend.

During your trip, was the Nitrox compressor working so that Nitrox was available for divers?

Thank you.

redseal1tx

From what we were told, the New nitrox compressor was installed but they didn't get it working for our trip. They said they had someone meeting the boat when we got off to assess the issues (I am not mechanical so I can't explain it to you properly, something to do with the generator) and see if they could get it working. That said, with only about 8 hours in port to do it, I don't know if it will be working - yet.

You will have a great trip regardless. The crew is awesome. :D
Several of the crew members were scheduled to be gone for vacations starting this week or next week, however, we had a group of newbies training on our trip to fill in and they were all very good. We had 17 guests and a crew of 15! We teased them that we each had our own "personal slave" for the week. LOL
Some of the new crew were being trained for the Pilot which will be arriving soon for the Bahamas itineraries, and some will stay with the Rorqual. Either way, the Nekton crew is young, enthusiastic, and eager to please you. Tell them all we said Hi! :D

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom