Spew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One that I've heard numerous times from local anti-DIR types is that DIR divers don't think for themselves; that they're just robots who do things a certain way Because George Says So.

I think the key to doing a good presentation is not focusing on the negative stereotypes, even to debunk them, but to focus on the ways that DIR procedures and equipment make very simple sense.

Talk about gas sharing . . . about finding an octopus you never use, which may or may not be in the older you put it in, and if it is, may or may not be easy to free up to donate. Contrast this with a regulator in your mouth, which is working perfectly because you're breathing from it, and you know EXACTLY where it is. And when you give it up, you're no worse off, because the backup reg is just below your chin, and you CHECKED IT before you dove.

Talk about gas management, and the scary situation of being at 130 feet in Molokini when somebody's LP hose comes loose, and you realize you don't have enough gas to get them to the surface. Contrast that with the gas plan for a DIR dive.

Talk about Puget Sound, where many of your students may well dive, with its silty bottoms. Talk about the irritation of following a group of divers who have left a silt cloud behind them that won't even let you see the navigation ropes at Edmonds. Contrast that with the group of 12 DIR divers who canvassed a small area for over an hour looking for a lost heirloom reel, and left no discernible silt behind us at all.

Talk about buoyancy control, talk about teamwork, but approach it from the positive of what is attactive and worthwhile about our system. Defending the negative never sounds any better than defensive.

I agree, why focus on negative stereotypes, what you can end up doing is to bring up some stupid mis-concept about DIR diving that the listener never even considered.

Also as you bring out the benefits of DIR diving and more of the specifics and how they can add more fun and safety to their diving that is the most effective means of handling the negative propaganda on DIR diving.

Of course if someone brings something up, then handle it. If it's pretty stupid, I just laugh and that by itself shows how ludicrous that idea is.

Myth: DIR divers will not dive with non-DIR divers

This is true.

I was forced to promote my buddies today to honorary DIR-divers so that I could dive with them. :D

I wish our LDS would join in. I want to learn DIR, but have no support here.

I think one I had heard several times around here and maybe is a good one to take on advance is that DIR is just the Hogarthian diving but with the promoting of the Halcyon brand, way to stupid but certainly hogarthian is confused with DIR, definetly a good aproach to DIR could be it's history and that's a cool way to put the difference between both concepts

I think one I had heard several times around here and maybe is a good one to take on advance is that DIR is just the Hogarthian diving but with the promoting of the Halcyon brand, way to stupid but certainly hogarthian is confused with DIR, definetly a good aproach to DIR could be it's history and that's a cool way to put the difference between both concepts

Yeah, I mentioned to a PADI Course Director that I was getting into DIR diving.

"Ah" he said, with a look that suggested he was about to impart some great wisdom, "you know that DIR is just marketing for Halcyon equipment".

:shakehead:

I've also had exactly the same piece of "wisdom" from a PADI/DSAT Trimix Instructor...

I've also had exactly the same piece of "wisdom" from a PADI/DSAT Trimix Instructor...

Well, if that makes them feel good about themselves, more power to them.

Attachments

• DSATshootBAG.jpg
    DSATshootBAG.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 115
"Ah" he said, with a look that suggested he was about to impart some great wisdom, "you know that DIR is just marketing for Halcyon equipment".

:shakehead:
Because all Halcyon gear is DIR, right? :eyebrow: ACBs anyone? :rofl3:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom