Spew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

43) DIR Divers give answers to questions never asked.

Oh wait, that's not urban legend, it's true. :wink:

Seriously, I can smell what you're stepping in and couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, I know the crowd I'm playing to and my best bet is to get the spew out of the way right out of the gate. Otherwise, it will rear it's head in various ways throughout the presentation.

I know there will be several people who will have strong opinions against DIR, with little to base that opinion on. They will be vocal and my best bet for a successful presentation will be to squash their spew as soon as possible.

It will be a 90 minute presentation and I plan to spend no more than 10 minutes on this topic. It will hardly be the 'focus'. History, philosophy and recreational application will be the general focus, with recreational application being the primary focus.

My purpose is quite selfish and I have one ultimate goal: Spark an interest in DIR that will draw in some like minded divers with which I can continue my training with.

I think the key to doing a good presentation is not focusing on the negative stereotypes, even to debunk them, but to focus on the ways that DIR procedures and equipment make very simple sense.

Talk about gas sharing . . . about finding an octopus you never use, which may or may not be in the older you put it in, and if it is, may or may not be easy to free up to donate. Contrast this with a regulator in your mouth, which is working perfectly because you're breathing from it, and you know EXACTLY where it is. And when you give it up, you're no worse off, because the backup reg is just below your chin, and you CHECKED IT before you dove.

Talk about gas management, and the scary situation of being at 130 feet in Molokini when somebody's LP hose comes loose, and you realize you don't have enough gas to get them to the surface. Contrast that with the gas plan for a DIR dive.

Talk about Puget Sound, where many of your students may well dive, with its silty bottoms. Talk about the irritation of following a group of divers who have left a silt cloud behind them that won't even let you see the navigation ropes at Edmonds. Contrast that with the group of 12 DIR divers who canvassed a small area for over an hour looking for a lost heirloom reel, and left no discernible silt behind us at all.

Talk about buoyancy control, talk about teamwork, but approach it from the positive of what is attactive and worthwhile about our system. Defending the negative never sounds any better than defensive.

Presentation is tonight. I have decided to take the advice of those who suggest I stay away from the negatives. We'll see how it goes.

I put together a Power Point presentation that follow the rough outline of:

Origins
Overview
Accomplishments - Show NHK WKKP documentary clip
Overview of recreational skills
Recreational applications and benefits
Scooter videos

Thanks for the feedback.

Did you bring a body bag for display purposes?

Are you wearing all black?

I dive with a lot of GREAT DIR divers (I am not one of them! :D).

The main thing to debunk is that DIR is a CULT, so don't even bring it up! DIR is just GUE training, and that is about all that needs to be said about that.

Focus on what DIR has to offer, because it is worthwhile. Most may not be interested in the commitment and focus it takes to be a DIR diver, but understanding what DIR is about, and why can help all divers is a good message.

understanding is few and far between.

I understand that DIR and GUE are not the same thing. The point I was trying to make is that these are similar types of organizations, and folks not familiar with DIR (the majority of divers I believe) may at least associate DIR with technical diving if you reference GUE. The philosophy is more similar than different.

Whatever, DIR is alive and well, but I think hardly thriving.

I understand that DIR and GUE are not the same thing. The point I was trying to make is that these are similar types of organizations
DIR isn't an organization.

and folks not familiar with DIR (the majority of divers I believe) may at least associate DIR with technical diving if you reference GUE. The philosophy is more similar than different.
One is a training agency.
Whatever, DIR is alive and well, but I think hardly thriving.
How would you know? You don't even know what it is.

I don't mean to be rude. But you have no idea about what you are talking about. Its just more "Spew"

Some of my best buddies ... and favorite people ... are DIR divers.

The only people who've ever refused to dive with me are also DIR divers.

So what does that tell you about DIR?

Nothing, really ... but since we're spewing, I figured I'd join the fun ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom