Open water checkout for my Daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConchyJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey folks,

My 18 year old daughter is taking her classes with Divers Supply (I guess Jack or Susan) here in Atlanta this weekend June 20th.

We want to take her to FLA for checkout dives, salt water only, and are looking for ideas to get her checked out, and have some semblance of an enjoyable experience.

My criteria:

Reefs, not wrecks. I think wrecks might intimidate her a little too much. But I need to talk to her.

Closer to GA instead of further away. West Palm is about as far as I want to go. I grew up there (yes I am Rustie's son) and thought inshore checkout, and Breakers or whatever, along with the possibility of a night dive at the bridge might be good.

We are going to drive, unless airtran has a sale, and take my 20 year old and 14 year old as well. Currently Airtran would be $1K ATL/PBI, but if it went on sale, it would save is $300-$400 which would make it doable.

Any thoughts, idea's, comments, anecdotes, spam, jokes, are welcome and appreciated. I have been told I am crazy by better people than you so have at it!:eyebrow:

Have a great Sunday, and thanks in advance!

While it doesn't fit your criteria for reefs, I might consider PCB and dive one of the bridge spans as a check out dive and then hit the Bart or Strength later.

............in the interest of easy/close to Atl and relatively inexpensive.

I live further south than there but I here there is some great diving in the panhandle. Maybe you should just run down there and grab a charter out of Panama or Pensicola. It would save you some serious mileage.

While it doesn't fit your criteria for reefs, I might consider PCB and dive one of the bridge spans as a check out dive and then hit the Bart or Strength later.

............in the interest of easy/close to Atl and relatively inexpensive.

Exactly what I am looking for SG. Any folks in particular I could contact down there? I never considered panhandle because of potential vis restrictions.

Do a bridge then off to the Oriskany!:wink: My wife does want to eventually dive the Oriskany.

Some of the regulars here are much more familiar with the PCB area than I am (been a few years since I have been in the panhandle area). I think there are a couple of Panama City threads currently. You might check those - get ideas of good dive ops.

Hey folks,

My 18 year old daughter is taking her classes with Divers Supply (I guess Jack or Susan) here in Atlanta this weekend June 20th.

We want to take her to FLA for checkout dives, salt water only, and are looking for ideas to get her checked out, and have some semblance of an enjoyable experience.

My criteria:

Reefs, not wrecks. I think wrecks might intimidate her a little too much. But I need to talk to her.

Closer to GA instead of further away. West Palm is about as far as I want to go. I grew up there (yes I am Rustie's son) and thought inshore checkout, and Breakers or whatever, along with the possibility of a night dive at the bridge might be good.

We are going to drive, unless airtran has a sale, and take my 20 year old and 14 year old as well. Currently Airtran would be $1K ATL/PBI, but if it went on sale, it would save is $300-$400 which would make it doable.

Any thoughts, idea's, comments, anecdotes, spam, jokes, are welcome and appreciated. I have been told I am crazy by better people than you so have at it!:eyebrow:

Have a great Sunday, and thanks in advance!
ConchyJoe,

I am an Instructor down in Boynton Beach which is out of your range of distinations, however. If you will call Alan Crook at Force E divers he will take care of you. Alan is the manager of Force E and a member of this board. If I was going to have a loved one certified and Alan was around he would be the one I would use.

Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sat 6:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Sun 6:30 AM - 6:00 PM

155 E. Blue Heron Blvd
Riviera Beach, FL 33404

Phone, local: (561) 845-2333
Phone, toll free: 1--866-845-2333

Shane,

Thanks so much for the info, forgot about Force E. Now if Airtran will go on sale, I will be golden....

BTW, nice boat. When we were not diving, my favorite thing to do was cruise the coastal, and have lunch at Banana Boat. Funny pretty blonde that was the outside bar gal at lunch, now the manager. Then we would head out the inlet, troll back to Lake Worth, rumrunners and smoked fish dip at The Galley, and back to Juno Beach.

I can't wait to retire and get back on the water. 5 more years......

Thanks for the help. Bob

I can recommend Panama City Dive Center, but you might not want that many people on the boat with you.

The Dive Locker comes highly recommended, but I haven't tried them, yet.

PatMyGreen is a member on this board, and runs a 6-pack. I'll definitely dive with him the next time I'm in PC. I really like his attitude about PCB diving...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom