Exposure protection for July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baconated

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello NC Wreck Divers,

I'll be out there the second week in July (7/7 - 7/11) diving with Olympus and I just wanted to get a few opinions on recommended exposure protection. Out here in Monterey I dive a 7mm full suit with 7mm hooded vest, so all this talk about 3 mm suits for the ocean seems like CRAZY talk. :)

I have an Excel Icon 3/2 with some 3mm gloves. Will that be sufficient? Should I bring a hood along? Typically in Monterey I'm fine in the 7/7 combo for two 45 minutes dives plus surface swims, if that helps.

Thanks much, and I'm looking forward to the trip.
Nathan

Believe it or not, the water temps here are a bit warmer then what you are used to. It's okay to leave the 7mm behind and bring your 3/2. I personally do not feel you will need to hood, but seeing as how they take up so little space...(and weight), you might want to bring it along just for self assurance.

I'm a total wimp and have been in my 3mm for over a month now.

See you in less then a month!!

Nema

I wear a 3mm suit with a 2mm hooded vest and usually get made fun of for wearing so much Neoprene.

I'm scheduled to be on the Olympus (the also have a boat called the Midnight Express) on Friday if you happen to be on that boat too.

Rich

just dove w/ discovery last weekend. was fine in just a 4/3.

You should come to south Florida. It is swim suit only diving.:)

Go for the 3/2 and the hood, you will probably find yourself leaving the hood on the both. Last summer one of Olympus's instructors was down to a 1mm rash guard shirt by August.

3mm will be plenty. The Gulf Stream will keep you warm, even at 100 feet. Don't forget your gloves for wreck diving.

Thanks a bunch for the advise everyone

Nathan

Well sitting here in a motel in Moorehead City and the wind is blowing. Olympus's boats never left the dock today and already canceled Sunday. Seas are running at 6 foot. Back to VA..

Back
Top Bottom