best dive knife under 50 bucks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigFame

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay, in that ballpark anyhow. I'd like to get into a nicer knife in time but as I am just starting off and there is just so much I need to buy in the way of basics I wondered if anyone could recommend me a good buy in this ballpark. Thanks folks....

Get the little Dive Rite sawed off steak knife in the holster. It's under $20.

Think about what you're carrying a knife for -- You don't need it to stab six gills. You need it to cut line, in case you get caught up in something. A simple knife will do as well as an 8 inch Indiana Jones model, and if the simple knife won't cut it, you're better off with EMT shears (which I sometimes carry in one of my pockets.)

thanks I saw that at NWSD the only thing I was concerned about was retention. Does me little good if it falls out of the sheath, but good point. I am not planning for any hand to fin combat (although those wolf eels are scary looking).

Okay, in that ballpark anyhow. I'd like to get into a nicer knife in time but as I am just starting off and there is just so much I need to buy in the way of basics I wondered if anyone could recommend me a good buy in this ballpark. Thanks folks....

Hi BigFame,

As mentioned you probably don't need a big knife underwater - you will most likely need something sharp that will cut line, fishing line or other entanglements. We have a variety of cutting devices available, all for under $50 - most under $20. Check out:
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Slates & Cutting Devices

Best,
Ag

There is no best knife for all divers. Like most choices of equipment, what is best depends on the intended use. The primary use for a knife underwater is for clearing entanglements. If you dive in caves, the only thing you are likely to become entangled in is cave line which is essentially string. Anything will cut that. If you are diving in open water it becomes a little more complicated. What kinds of line are you likely to come into contact with in the area you will be diving? If you share the water with fishermen you may need to be able to cut fishing line, stainless downrigger line and/or fishing nets. Are you operating your own boat, or crewing a boat? If so, you may need a larger knife, capable of cutting anchor line and mooring lines. Are you diving shipwrecks? If so you will definately need to be able to deal with all kinds of fishing equipment as well as the lines, cable and debris that sinks along with a ship. A goog prybar or large knife might come in handy here. In some areas, knives are forbidden by the dive operators. In those areas, a pair of shears or a folding knife that you can carry out of sight may be desireable.

I really like the Spyderco "Salt" knives. Bigger thumb hole makes them easier (or less difficult :)) to open, and the steel has held up really well with no sign of corrosion. If you look around I think you can get them for little more than your $50 budget.

That said, I also carry a line cutter and EMT shears.

Henrik

EMT shears are just as good as the next thing. You're not going to kill Jaws with a dive knife, no matte how large. You're going to need your knife most when you're tangled in monofilament, in which case, shears work just as well and aren't as expensive and hard to maintain.

Diving in Puget Sound, the primary risk is monofilament and gill nets. A small knife and a set of shears is a pretty good solution.

Hi Bigfame,
I went through the same decision making process and here's what I came up with (much the same as described by others):

100_4086.jpg

On the right are EMT shears which I believe to be the more effective tool (I have used them as an EMT) and on the left is a cheap $32 knife (Kershaw I believe). I chose this knife primarily because I can remove it from the scabbard with one hand. I tested all the knives with a wet suit glove on in the shop (Highly recommended). The surgical tubing is good as a safety strap both for my wrist and to prevent the knife from accidentally falling out of the scabbard. The shears sheath is secured to my waist strap and the shears are also secured to the BC with a retractor. I can pull it out to cut in front of me and if I need to (in an emergency) I can cut the retractor cable to gain more freedom. In my decision making process I wanted redundancy, single handed access and access for both hands. In this mounting configuration I can access both cutting tools with both hands. However you mount yours, practice accessing the tool to see how it will function. I actually spend time doing a gear drill every so often. I close my eyes (with my gear on) and go through each piece of gear, noting its location by feel, deploying and replacing it. Remember, in an entrapment you may be find yourself in an elevated state of excitement. A simple, easily accessed, well rehearsed cut away system/s that actually works will then be of great benefit.
Hope this helps,
Dale.

100_4089.jpg

Back
Top Bottom