NEED ADVICE buying a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FJUK1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi,

I am a complete beginner, about to start my open water dives for BSAC Ocean Diver. Due to complicated reasons with local dive shops it's most likely that I will have to purchase my own drysuit to be able to perform these. I also have to buy this within the next day or two (unless i want to use FB marketplace or similar options). My local dive shop is moving/closing and I have the opportunity tomorrow to try on a drysuit, as well as purchase one. I am willing to spend upwards of 700GBP on this (the shop is selling their previously rented out constantly dry suits), I was wondering if this budget it okay for a drysuit thats been used alot for rental purposes, but is in good condition, and any advice as to whether this will have good resale value. I plan to lose some weight and buy a top of the line drysuit later down the line when i have completed my certification.

What is the financial risk of buying a drysuit before ever diving in open water. Don't mind losing a couple hundred quid or so if for some reason I give this up (I very much don't plan to) but it is a bit of a commitment to buy this after just under 4HRS in the pool.

Any advice appreciated!

IF your in the UK and you think you want dive regularly a dry suit is non negotiable. some rental gear is perfectly fine -only problem is your a beginner and you probably dont know if its worn out or not -do you no anyone who dives regularly that can go with you to check it out -

I don think you'll lose much on resale if you get a decent one

ask @Wibble

A drysuit is only a good deal if it fits properly and keeps you dry. It is not really a purchase you should rush unless you know exactly what you want and how it should fit. Unfortunately a diveshop closing offers an oportunity that is extremely enticing to you, but I would recommend a cautious approach here and perhaps take a step back and take the time to explore what options are availalbe by different manufacturers and figure out what your needs/desires are for a suit. It is near impossible to educate you enough in 2 days to help you score a good deal and avoid buying a dud.

But, if you feel compelled to purchase a suit from your local shop's going out of business firesale, then make sure, at the very least, the suit fits you....make sure the suit fits you with appropriately thick undergarments on.

Good luck.

-Z

Agree with Zef I would not rush into it and buy something that does not fit. Drysuits should last a long time and you don’t want something that doesn’t fit.

A drysuit is only a good deal if it fits properly and keeps you dry. It is not really a purchase you should rush unless you know exactly what you want and how it should fit. Unfortunately a diveshop closing offers an oportunity that is extremely enticing to you, but I would recommend a cautious approach here and perhaps take a step back and take the time to explore what options are availalbe by different manufacturers and figure out what your needs/desires are for a suit. It is near impossible to educate you enough in 2 days to help you score a good deal and avoid buying a dud.

But, if you feel compelled to purchase a suit from your local shop's going out of business firesale, then make sure, at the very least, the suit fits you....make sure the suit fits you with appropriately thick undergarments on.

Good luck.

-Z
good points -i guess you could ask the dive shop to warranty fro a month against any leaks

A drysuit is a big commitment for a beginner who’s not even done any diving in the UK where water temperatures range from 18 degrees C in the summer to 7 degrees in winter. It is possible to dive in the UK using a wetsuit in the summer months which many people do. A frequent diver will virtually always dive a drysuit in the UK all season long.

New drysuit prices range from ~£600 to many thousands depending upon the type, accessories and the underclothes.

Second hand drysuits are considerably less. If you’re lucky you can grab a bargain. Some sellers have unrealistic expectations for selling old drysuits — they do not hold their price like other diving equipment.

As a buyer you need to:
  • Ensure the drysuit fits you. Length is critical as a tight or baggy fitting drysuit simply doesn’t work in the water. Torso length (tight/baggy crotch when crouched into a ball), arms and legs the right length. Boots mustn’t be loose.
  • Ensure that the drysuit is dry. This means a test dive AND money back guarantee if it leaks. A second hand teabag is worthless!
  • Repairs cost money. Replacing a zipper is a couple of hundred quid. A neck seal, boots/socks and wrist seals around a hundred each. Fixing leaks is time consuming as holes are hard to find. Pressure testing also costs money. Look up the prices for the repair services at Hammond Drysuits (I highly recommend their service)
  • The drysuit must look like it’s in a pretty good condition, inside and out. Drysuits don’t age well.
  • The seller must be helpful and understanding. A money back guarantee is required. A take it or leave it attitude means walk away.
  • Don’t be pressurised — second hand drysuits sell slowly.
  • Why are they selling is a good question. Old drysuits are often kept as spares for when the main suit breaks — drysuits need periodic repairs. An old shagged out and leaking drysuit is worthless. If someone is giving up diving then that may be a good deal if it’s low use and been looked after.
  • Get an experienced person to help you with buying a drysuit. Clubs are good for this.
  • If you’re an average size it’s easier to find a suit that will fit. If not then a custom made-to-fit suit might be your only option.
My first drysuit was a £550 Northern Diver Voyager suit (now £680) that worked well and was quite cheap. Until I added another pocket, a fly zip, pee valve and dry gloves.

This was replaced by a custom made Predator membrane drysuit at around £1800. Lasted 8 years and hundreds of dives. Worked really well and is now my backup drysuit— sent to Hammond's for replacement socks and leak repairs before storing it.

Most recent was a £2800 Santi custom made suit plus another £800 on a custom made undersuit plus heating at another £1000. I dive all year round around the UK and normally dive at least two hours per dive with extensive decompression obligations. My life literally depends upon a reliable drysuit, so that massive outlay isn’t an extravagance.

My advice to you would be to rent a drysuit or wetsuit for your initial training. If you’re hooked and want to dive in the UK — we’re blessed with some of the best wreck diving in the world— then look at the lower cost options, probably buying new AND trying it on in the shop!

Final word. One of the guys I regularly dive with is highly addicted to diving and has dived beyond 100m on his rebreather and has spent huge sums on his sport. He still dives a Northern Diver DiveMaster suit.

Hi,

I am a complete beginner, about to start my open water dives for BSAC Ocean Diver. Due to complicated reasons with local dive shops it's most likely that I will have to purchase my own drysuit to be able to perform these. I also have to buy this within the next day or two (unless i want to use FB marketplace or similar options). My local dive shop is moving/closing and I have the opportunity tomorrow to try on a drysuit, as well as purchase one. I am willing to spend upwards of 700GBP on this (the shop is selling their previously rented out constantly dry suits), I was wondering if this budget it okay for a drysuit thats been used alot for rental purposes, but is in good condition, and any advice as to whether this will have good resale value. I plan to lose some weight and buy a top of the line drysuit later down the line when i have completed my certification.

What is the financial risk of buying a drysuit before ever diving in open water. Don't mind losing a couple hundred quid or so if for some reason I give this up (I very much don't plan to) but it is a bit of a commitment to buy this after just under 4HRS in the pool.

Any advice appreciated!
Hi,

Are you doing the OD course with a BSAC Branch or through the Centre Partnership Scheme?

If the first take someone from the Branch with you and try the suit on - it shouldn’t be to baggy or tight, but the seals must fit or you’ll get socked. £700 for a 2nd hand suit is a bit steep. You might also have to buy undersuit clothing. A membrane suit has no thermal properties like a neoprene one.

If a BSAC Centre they should be able to provide all the kit.

Buy a new wetsuit, the water is at its warmest now and you won’t be going deep. Half the money you’re talking about and you can try it on in the shop.

As suggested by others, don't rush into a gear purchase, particularly for a drysuit. Of particular importance is getting the undergarments you will need for the coldest water you will be diving. If your suit does not accommodate the heavier undergarments, you run into a whole host of problems. A well fitting wetsuit might be a good compromise until you have had a chance to do some further research as well as trying on a couple of different drysuits. Ultimately, the best drysuit is the one that fits you the best.

I think buying a dry suit before you've even done open water dives is a bit of a stretch, unless money is no object.

Were I in your shoes, I'd buy an inexpensive 7mm wetsuit for the open water dives. You won't be spending that long in the water, and this time of year, the temperature should be tolerable if not pleasant. Then if you decide this is something you want to pursue, you can buy a drysuit at leisure.

If you're willing to pay 700 pounds, you could get a new, custom, barebones Seaskin for that much. That's the route I took earlier this year and am very happy with it. It's comfortable, easy to get on and off, easy to control buoyancy, and I can replace ripped seals in 5 min on the boat (which I did yesterday). With the caveat that I have no basis for comparison, so maybe a 2500 pound drysuit would give me a level of bliss beyond my imagination. I won't know, because I plan to stick with the seaskin for a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom