NEED ADVICE buying a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks both, already part of a club at the moment, and they are VERY active (trips to the south/east coast nearly every weekend, weather permitting, since April time). We've got a lot of loan kit apart from drysuits, which at the moment is all I need lol. Currently 4 OD trainees at the moment as well as a couple SD and one DL I believe, so pretty active I think...

About to finish up my final pool session tomorrow and will probably be at Stoney late sept, the only issue I have is finding somewhere to rent a drysuit for pool use before going into open water. Looking more likely that I will just have to buy one, and probably resell/replace it soon after I've finished. Also @Edward3c , I am in no rush really to get qualified - i think November was a bit of a stretch.
Clubs hiring drysuits is a hygiene nightmare, which why few clubs don’t have them. Don’t discount a second hand suit for longer use, especially if it was bought recently by a newly quitting diver. Most measurements can be changed.

Anyway, welcome to our fantastic underwater world.

Edit: added ‘don’t’.

Thanks both, already part of a club at the moment, and they are VERY active (trips to the south/east coast nearly every weekend, weather permitting, since April time). We've got a lot of loan kit apart from drysuits, which at the moment is all I need lol. Currently 4 OD trainees at the moment as well as a couple SD and one DL I believe, so pretty active I think...

About to finish up my final pool session tomorrow and will probably be at Stoney late sept, the only issue I have is finding somewhere to rent a drysuit for pool use before going into open water. Looking more likely that I will just have to buy one, and probably resell/replace it soon after I've finished. Also @Edward3c , I am in no rush really to get qualified - i think November was a bit of a stretch.
Great news :)

As one dive-addled addict (who's just loaded the car for a 1000 mile round-trip to Scotland for a week of diving), it's a great sport. So much to see and do.

However, there's a cost in terms of the time and effort you need to put in. OK, and some money too.

A drysuit -- with accompanying undersuit -- makes diving pleasant. Whilst it's possible to dive in the UK in a wetsuit from July to September, a drysuit is just normal for virtually all diving.

@Edward3c has just noted the hygiene nightmare of wetsuits -- hadn't thought of that! Drysuits are normally dry so aren't the problem of wet. If you're older, then the second most important technology in diving is a pee valve (the first being able to breathe!).

Have fun and do enjoy the course, even if it can be hard work in the beginning.

@Edward3c has just noted the hygiene nightmare of wetsuits -- hadn't thought of that! Drysuits are normally dry so aren't the problem of wet. If you're older, then the second most important technology in diving is a pee valve (the first being able to breathe!).
Drysuits still have hygiene issues as body fluids (including sweat) don’t regularly get cleaned out. The liability on a club isn’t worth the risk.

Stoney has apparently drysuit for hire for people with a certs

Like @Wibble said, give them a call to know if they have a few sizes and if they’d rent you one for a club class (they may not let people hire for people doing classes not with their instructors)

LATEST UPDATE:

Visiting the shop tomorrow. After a chat with club members they believe I will be able to buy a used but good condition drysuit from the shop owner for between 250-300 quid. I am willing to spend this money, and will likely sell the drysuit after my training and then buy a custom fitted one for many multitudes above this price.

I don't think a rental/bought wetsuit is the way to go as BSAC would not be able to provide me drysuit certification if I went down this route. On top of this, my main concern is being freezing during my checkout dives so really prefer diving in a drysuit.

My next question is whether it's viable to dive in a drysuit (PURELY for my checkout dives) that maybe is not an exact fit, maybe there are some areas that are "baggy" etc. I do not mind this I am just wondering whether it is viable. Thanks a lot for everyone that's contributed so far!

Edit: maybe this is the case or maybe it isn't.... but is a drysuit with 0 thermal protection underneath better than any thickness of wetsuit?

I'm on the west coast of Canada, water 7C-11C in summer. OW classes here, students use dry suits. I ordered one when I started. After trying on rentals for sizing, I determined that a stock size I could use. I did customize mine a bit, adding colour, P-valve, dry glove rings, extra large expandable pocket., In hind sight, I should've custom sized it as well, and had user replaceable neck seals, and a 2nd pocket added. 360 dives on the suit, and the zipper was replaced a yr ago. Suit is currently at shop for a new neck seal. This is the 3rd one, pain in the butt and not cheap to replace. If you order a suit, get the neck seals you can replace yourself. Dry glove rings include user replaceable wrist seals so that is handy. My suit is only 3 yrs old. Bare Trilam Tech Dry.

LATEST UPDATE:

Visiting the shop tomorrow. After a chat with club members they believe I will be able to buy a used but good condition drysuit from the shop owner for between 250-300 quid. I am willing to spend this money, and will likely sell the drysuit after my training and then buy a custom fitted one for many multitudes above this price.

I don't think a rental/bought wetsuit is the way to go as BSAC would not be able to provide me drysuit certification if I went down this route. On top of this, my main concern is being freezing during my checkout dives so really prefer diving in a drysuit.

My next question is whether it's viable to dive in a drysuit (PURELY for my checkout dives) that maybe is not an exact fit, maybe there are some areas that are "baggy" etc. I do not mind this I am just wondering whether it is viable. Thanks a lot for everyone that's contributed so far!

Edit: maybe this is the case or maybe it isn't.... but is a drysuit with 0 thermal protection underneath better than any thickness of wetsuit?
I went down this exact route. I bought a drysuit +undies, gloves, hood, hose etc. for $500 USD (pretty close to 300 quid) that I did my training on. Not a perfect fit, but good enough. 150 dives later, my plan is still to replace it with a SeaSkin when it finally doesn't get the job done. Who knows when that will happen.

to your edit: on the surface, it can be a lot hotter than a 3mil. on a dive with no garments, ~3mil but less comfortable.

My suit's born on date: April 2002, I've owned it just under 3 years.

LATEST UPDATE:

I’ve highlighted text that is incorrect. If you did OD in a wetsuit then bought a drysuit your club would put you through a drysuit course.

Next question is whether it's viable to dive in a drysuit (PURELY for my checkout dives) that maybe is not an exact fit, maybe there are some areas that are "baggy" etc. I do not mind this I am just wondering whether it is viable. Thanks a lot for everyone that's contributed so far!
It absolutely is possible. I did my course in a not great fitting suit and it was fine. Just make sure the neck and wrist seals actually make a watertight seal and you're good to go.

Just dive the suit and upgrade when you need to. Buying a second hand suit for the course to then immediately offload it to buy a new one seems like wasted money/effort to me.

Probably final update on this thread, thanks again for advice everyone.

Just tried on and purchased a used drysuit for 175quid, only thing that needs changing are the boots (too small). New neck seal, zip and recently pressure tested so think I got a pretty decent deal! Might even keep it after my checkout dives assuming they go well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom