Steel Vs. Titanium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lampy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new scuba diver, investing in a kit of my own.

Could someone let me, and others out there wondering, know whether taking a titanium knife over a stainless steel one is really worth doubling the cost.

I have mainly been looking at the T-Rex model, but the Scubapro Mesh Cutter Knife in Knives from Simply Scuba Mesh cutter looks interesting, though not exactly a knife.

I have been recommended to buy both scuba shears/scissors and a knife, though many people say they only take shears/scissors 'occasionally'.

Shall I just grab a $25 bargain bin knife or splurge the $80 on a full titanium model such as the T-Rex

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

Michael

I would not want to own a knife that I would feel compelled to rescue.

Pete

Go with titanium, a folding knife to stow in your pocket I have found to be best. I had a nice SS knife I occasionally wore on my leg, but could not keep up with the rust.

Titanium is worth the extra money. I got tired of the rust build up of SS.

If you're willing to put down enough money for titanium you should go ahead and try something made of H-1 steel. It will hold an edge much better than titanium, and because it uses nitrogen instead of carbon it is chemically impossible for it to rust. I have a Spyderco Caspian Salt on the way and I am ridiculously excited!

look here

i started carrying a knife about a year ago after years of not carrying one and i got a cheap steel one

i should have just gone with titanium because im going to end up buying it by christmas i reckon

cheers

I've lost many knives over the years some of them were dive knives. Buy a cheap stainless kitchen knife in a local budget/thrift shop. Take an offcut of plastic hose as a sheath and fasten a doglead clip to one end with a couple of cable ties. Fasten a piece of light bungy to the handle of the knife and the base of the sheath. I expect you'll spend less than $5.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom