Steel Vs. Titanium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're willing to put down enough money for titanium you should go ahead and try something made of H-1 steel. It will hold an edge much better than titanium, and because it uses nitrogen instead of carbon it is chemically impossible for it to rust. I have a Spyderco Caspian Salt on the way and I am ridiculously excited!

look here

I have one of the Spyderco "Saver Salt" knives, and i love it. the H1 is awesome stuff, no rust, ever. if im feeling in a particularly "awesome" mood, i'll put it in my boot (clipped onto the boot, knife on the inside, under my wetsuit) but i usually don't dive with it, because its a folding knife. any of spyderco's stuff made with H1 in a fixed blade would make an AWESOME dive knife

I just picked up my Caspian Salt from the post office. It's great! It's razor sharp out of the box (you can expect that from spyderco) and the sheath is very secure. I'll have to post a review after I go diving with it. Highly recommended!

If you're willing to put down enough money for titanium you should go ahead and try something made of H-1 steel. It will hold an edge much better than titanium, and because it uses nitrogen instead of carbon it is chemically impossible for it to rust. I have a Spyderco Caspian Salt on the way and I am ridiculously excited!

look here

I second this ... sweet knife ... I've had one for about 4 months. It's beautiful. Don't lose it though, fairly pricey. The downside is that I'm not sure how well it would fair with bulky mitts on [i.e. it may be difficult to handle] in cold water. The sheath is somewhat difficult to mount [DIR style] on a waist belt, but can be done with a bit of ingenuity.

I just picked up a Salt 1 folder.

I looked at the Caspian and I was like, how the heck are you suppose to mount that sheath much less operating it with gloves on?

I think that the Aqua Salt fixed blade with a sheath that's diver friendly would make for a better dive knife/utility/boat knife than the Caspian.

I've lost many knives over the years some of them were dive knives. Buy a cheap stainless kitchen knife in a local budget/thrift shop. Take an offcut of plastic hose as a sheath and fasten a doglead clip to one end with a couple of cable ties. Fasten a piece of light bungy to the handle of the knife and the base of the sheath. I expect you'll spend less than $5.

This sounds interesting. Do you have pictures? I don't know what an offcut is.

I recently bought a titanium knife because my ss one rusted.

After a single dip in the salt water, there is a little surface rust in a couple of places. Is this knife really titanium or did I get ripped off?

I recently bought a titanium knife because my ss one rusted.

After a single dip in the salt water, there is a little surface rust in a couple of places. Is this knife really titanium or did I get ripped off?

Sounds suspect. My Ti knife is spotless. Send us a picture.

I will not bother sending a picture at this point. It is really rusty so I am sure it is not Titanium.

The seller on ebay said that that his supplier said it was Titanium so it wasn't his fault... right.

He offered to give me a refund, but it was only 13 bucks so I will remove the rust, oil it and use it anyway.

Lesson Learned: If the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Back
Top Bottom