Mask on Forehead reliable distress signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that is almost always the case, if a diver is panicked at the surface the mask will not be on his face where it belongs.
True that ... the one time I had to deal with a fully panicked student, his mask was not on his forehead ... it was laying on the bottom.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can't remember if I was taught this, or if I heard it here after I got certified. Since then, maybe half of the divers I've seen above the water have worn their masks on their foreheads, and none were ever in distress.

ahava:
One thing that is almost always the case, if a diver is panicked at the surface the mask will not be on his face where it belongs.

I've rescued lots of panicked divers, most of them still had their mask on their face, but damned few still had their regulators in their mouths.

Divers can do whatever they want regarding this issue, after the class (and nobody will get on their case). But when they are learning to dive looking for a mask takes up valuable time and stresses out a student when the mask is lost forever. This is a visual sport and if a students mind is on that mask they lost, it can be reflected in their next dive.

So how about this...if they lose the mask then they have learned the lesson of responsibility which is probably more lesson than the average instructor will be giving them. On the one hand, we have those saying they've seen one diver after another lose a mask situated on their forehead and on the other hand, those saying they've never seen or had a student lose a mask while on forehead. Personally, I have seen far more masks lost by being kicked off the dock or simply left at home. If the student is repeatedly losing a mask why not let them develop the habit of retaining their mask? In education this is referred to as logical consequences and is a great learning tool.

I'm a freediver who frequently dives in open-ocean conditions. This morning I swam up to a couple of scuba divers floating low on the surface (BCs not inflated) to see if they needed any assistance. One had his mask on his forehead, the other had his mask off entirely, and both appeared to be a bit confused and uncertain about something. They said they were OK and didn't need any help or advice, and they appeared to be managing alright, so I continued on.

Around these parts, mask on forehead or mask entirely off means a person is not very familar with and/or comfortable with their gear. When issues arise, off comes the bothersome gear! It's not so much a distress signal as a "newbie" signal.

When I get into a tough situation the last thing I would ever want to do is remove any of my precious, life-saving gear. Mask on face, snorkel in mouth and fins on feet is often the only way to survive in rough, challenging conditions. Rather than taking off my mask, I will tighten the strap to make sure it stays on.

Another issue is that your antifog treatment is more likely to be washed out if you take off your mask while you're still in the water.

CapnDan:
Rather than taking off my mask, I will tighten the strap to make sure it stays on.

Sounds like a comfort issue to me.

I tell students not to do it but mostly because they are losing masks. I see it all the time. If somone has a wetsuit hood on and the mask on their forehead, then they turn around and start snorkeling backwards it can roll off their head without them even feeling it. By the time they realize it's gone who knows where it is.

I've also seen people obviously under alot of stress put them up on their forhead or take them off completely. What I hate is occasionally a divemaster from some other shop will swim by and freak out and tell my students not to do it like they are breaking some cardinal rule. Watch your students and leave mine alone! I inform them of the risks and assume they are intelligent enough to make their own decisions.

So how about this...if they lose the mask then they have learned the lesson of responsibility which is probably more lesson than the average instructor will be giving them.
Are you calling yourself average? I know Scuba Instructors do this for all the glory, right.
On the one hand, we have those saying they've seen one diver after another lose a mask situated on their forehead and on the other hand, those saying they've never seen or had a student lose a mask while on forehead.
I don't think that's been the focus of the discussion. More like a disagreement on where students should wear their mask.
Personally, I have seen far more masks lost by being kicked off the dock or simply left at home.
Yes to getting kicked or stepped on, but if they left it home that day, maybe they should have stayed there too. Instructors bring extra equipment with them, but there's a limit, especially on a trip nowdays.
If the student is repeatedly losing a mask why not let them develop the habit of retaining their mask? In education this is referred to as logical consequences and is a great learning tool.
Absolutely, but the immediate problem needs to be resolved, before their dive can continue. However, if they are repeatedly losing their mask, it's time for either the Instructor or student to call it a day anyway.

MOF - Sign of distress = Conspiracy!

This I know!

MOF can mean 1 of 2 things

1. MOF could be a possible distress trigger
2. MOF could be a sign of a completely comfortable diver that will one day loose that mask.

As an instructor, I would HATE!! to think that my intelligence was reduced to the point at which I seriously relied on a MOF sign as a emergency response trigger. At best, a MOF might get me to take a second glance at someone.

I have seen distressed divers and even a couple that have panicked. I can safely say that MOF had nothing to do with me realizing those divers needed assistance.

I am amazed how much attention this subject receives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom