Ankle Weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is about physics, not ethics. You have done your homework, go ahead and add the ankle weights but be sure to remove the corresponding lead from your belt or BC.

Pete

If ankle weights work for you and moving your other weight doesn't, just wear them. Ignore people who tell you they are a problem. I fail to see the difference between using ankle weights v heavy fins!

Agree. For some reason people really slam ankle weights whilst talking elsewhere about trim weights and they are fine. Well ankle weights are nothing more than trim weights worn lower down than normal! Provided that aren't excessively heavy the person wont notice any extra effort in finning and if it solves the problem then good.

Not everyone needs them but that doesn't mean they're wrong- if you need them and they work then use them.

The only reason I don't like ankle weights is that it makes for more work while kicking. But if you want a better work-out, then go with them...

I haven't found this to be the case to be honest. But I guess it really depends on what type of diving you do and how much finning you need. I often do dives over an hour where I might move 20-50m, so ankle weights aren't really an issue. Though doing Rescue on the weekend I was constantly swimming for about four-five hours and did not feel noticably tired in my legs.

Head-down trim is a common problem, especially for people who are moving into heavy doubles cylinders for the first time. The corrective remedy for them is to DIVE MORE. The problem will disappear with more time in the water, often without any changes in configuration.

For your case, there is no need for ankle weights. Do not try to use equipment to make up for lack of skill. Dive more.

Dive more. Your trim problems will resolve with more time in the water.

Try straightening your legs when you stop kicking. That will move your center of gravity back and level you.

Try keeping your head up at all times. Dropping you head will cause your torso to drop.

Arch your back at all times.

Try keeping your legs in a wide, stable stance.

Lots of basic trim skills to improve upon before you go buying more equipment to make up for lack of skill.

Head-down trim is a common problem, especially for people who are moving into heavy doubles cylinders for the first time. The corrective remedy for them is to DIVE MORE. The problem will disappear with more time in the water, often without any changes in configuration.

For your case, there is no need for ankle weights. Do not try to use equipment to make up for lack of skill. Dive more.

Dive more. Your trim problems will resolve with more time in the water.

Try straightening your legs when you stop kicking. That will move your center of gravity back and level you.

Try keeping your head up at all times. Dropping you head will cause your torso to drop.

Arch your back at all times.

Try keeping your legs in a wide, stable stance.

I absolutely agree with everything Doc Harry said, except one thing: If you need ankle weights at the beginning to be comfortable and stable, use them. With development of your technique, you may eventually discard them. But there is no point diving uncomfortable and unstable just to avoid using a simple aid.

I used ankle weights in the beginning, and I was told just what Doc Harry said. The people who told me that were right, but they didn't make me feel very good about needing them in the beginning. We are ALL beginners at some point, and skill comes with time and practice. There is nothing wrong with some help, while you are learning.

I absolutely agree with everything Doc Harry said, except one thing: If you need ankle weights at the beginning to be comfortable and stable, use them. With development of your technique, you may eventually discard them. But there is no point diving uncomfortable and unstable just to avoid using a simple aid.

I used ankle weights in the beginning, and I was told just what Doc Harry said. The people who told me that were right, but they didn't make me feel very good about needing them in the beginning. We are ALL beginners at some point, and skill comes with time and practice. There is nothing wrong with some help, while you are learning.

This is a great point. I did 58 dives quite uncomfortably (though I did not realise that at the time) since I started diving at the start of the year as I did not wear ankle weights, mainly due to people bagging them out... I thought I had to learn to dive without them so just put up with spending most shallow dives on my head or constantly finning. I tried all sorts of suggestions that people gave, with very little luck. The next 30 or so dives I have done with the ankle weights have been so much more enjoyable as it is easy to just hover and not have to fin all the time. I WISH I had tried ankle weights a lot earlier!!!

Some people just need to wear them and I don't see what the big deal is. In my wetsuit + booties I have 14mm of neoprene around my ankles + positively buoyant fins. In my drysuit my feet are about the same with regards to buoyancy. I've tried heavier fins and they feel exactly like wearing ankle weights, so I will probably get some soon as I agree that they are less likely to fall off on me and just won't have to worry about packing extra gear~ But in the meantime, ankle weights work for me so to the OP, try what people here have suggested but I wouldn't worry if you ultimately require ankle weights :)

... We are ALL beginners at some point, and skill comes with time and practice. There is nothing wrong with some help, while you are learning.

This pertains to much more than just ankle weights. Know where you want to end up. Do what you muist to get started. Then practice until you get there. Much more efficient and effective than trying to bite off the entire task at one gulp.

Yes I have moved tank as low as possible I don't have spring straps for fins and my fins are sp twin jets and are
+ bouyant, But I like the fins and don't want to spend more money on fins.

I guess my question is, with only 4 pounds of weight at my ankles a problem, with all of my other weight ditchable?

First let me say I am with you as far as the twinjets, the only problem if you have any color but black, they are positive, if you install the SP springstraps they do become neutral (at least the gray ones) or slighly negative depending on size. I would not worry either about wearing ankle weights or that being BAD, or them being ditchable, they are just unclip them, I would agree with what other have written about weights in the trim pockets and keeping it to a minimum. Another thing you might try if you don't want to wear ankle weights, stay horizontal, but point your thighs down and bend your knees when you stop,it changes the fulcrum, and you might find that it fixes the problem

Dave :pirate2:

PADI MSDT #233329

Are you diving a weight integrated BCD? If yes, try taking the weight out of the BCD and using a weight belt. Weight will move towards feet independent of air bladder. Added bonus, your BC pockets will be useable.
I used ankle weights when I first started diving. Other than being 1 extra thing to put on, I had no issues with them. What ever makes you most comfortable in the water, will make your dives more enjoyable.

You can also try moving the weights on your belt more towards your front.

"I fail to see the difference between using ankle weights v heavy fins!"

I would rather have the weight be doing something for me other than just sitting on your ankles. Ankle weights sometimes make surface swimming more difficult. Its up to you in the end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom