Dema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update on the Nitek X

Snipped from their own website-
October 15th, 2008
NiTek X In Production
All the parts are in stock and the first five beta production units are being assembled. These units are full production with 4th cell integration and download capability. I will have these back on Friday from the development team. The week after DEMA we will be in full production at Dive Rite with the first 100 units rolling off the production line. Another 250 will follow. We will then go to a normal production schedule.

The NiTek X is one of the few US-manufactured dive computers on the market and we are proud to deliver it.

Lamar

Link- Dive Rite - Dive Rite’s online journal exploring the latest in technical diving

No comment on production.
I think that Diverite is not a this show they are spending more time out in the field.
That's what I have heard from the rep's.
(spending time with divers is an excellent choice for me.)
I am looking at a VR3 for now- need the O2 cell intergration for the rebreather.
Definitely look at the Shearwater and the Liquidvision X1. Both of which have 3 cell monitoring capabilities. I love my X1 it is tiny and acts as an extra back up light although it needs an attachment for the PO2 monitoring while the Shearwater is ready out of the box.

Hey guys. Sorry for the delayed response. Internet access was expensive in Vegas, so the computer stayed in its case. I need to get a cell modem or something.

As far as LEDs go, not much new in the market. Most of the lights featured multiple LEDs. The big innovation is the ability to move the head from a can light to a hand held. Intova is coming out with a new, more powerful hand held. I think it will be available in Jan. or Feb.

Intova is also coming out with a new 10 MP camera. They have upgraded their trays and strobes. We're getting in a bunch of their 6 MP cameras at a special price that will make them a great deal for Christmas.

As far as Kayaks go, there was very little there, with one surprise exception. Bare, of wetsuit and dry suit fame is expanding their product line. They are now offering masks, snorkels, fins and bcds. They also have a neat kayak. It is a one person inflatable, with adjustable seat and a place for dive gear. I may try to get one in the shop, as these are really cool.

In tech computers, the Shearwater and Liquid Vision are both really cool. Both have eliminated the mechanical buttons. I've got to give the nod to Liquid Vision for ease of use, and features.

Zeagle also has some new product out. They have a Zena style BCD for the guys and a new setup that folds into almost nothing. They also have a dry suit now. It is made by USIA and is a front entry. The price point is very competitive, in the $1200.00 range. The suit, especially the seals are not near as heavy duty as the Bare trilam, but it looks like a great recreational dry suit. They have a full line of under-garments to go with it.

Waterproof makes a good wetsuit and we can get them in the shop. I just don't like all the seams. It reminds me of a tailor gone mad, or a coat of many colors. Bare and Aqualung have gone to some really cool graphics and their suits are hard to beat.

Aqualung has a new BCD out for the ladies. It is similar in style to Zeagles Zeana, without the zipper. The front looks more like a swim suit top. I would recommend any ladies looking for a new BC to check Zeagle or Aqualung, with Aqualung being the sportier, flashier line.

Most changes in regulators come in additional ports and lighter weight. You can now get a first stafe to connect your primary 2nd, an alternate air source, bcd inflator, dry suit inflator, analog gauges, wireless computer and still have a port left over for your tire inflator. :rofl3:They really are shaving down the bulk of the first stage to reduce the weight. Many of the companies are now incorporating those super flex hoses on either the primary 2nd, octo or both.

Mares wins the cooool feature award this year. They are coming out with a carbon fiber 2nd stage. Talk about light! I tis connected to a super small V-42 1st stage via mi-flex hose. This little puppy can be your for the low price of $1000.00. They are also about to release their new air integrated computer that will rival Oceanic's Pro Plus.

Oceanic is removing the swivel from its Delta 4 and will only offer it on the EOS. This is due to a patent dispute and they can only offer it on 1 model. Their new products include a new jacket style BCD which is a hybrid between a back inflate and a jacket. Also, they have a new mask with an industrial style to it.

OMS now has a rebreather. It looks an awful lot like the KISS. I did not get any details on it because the folks at the booth were too busy talking amongst themselves to pay any attention to me, any time I went by there. I think they were mad because their booth was not swamped with attendees. Other than the rebreather, I did not see anything new or different there.

Deep Sea Supply had a great display. I really like their ideas on BP/W. First, it is not a one size fits all plate. They range from small to XL. Also, the slots for webbing are injection molded with plastic, to prevent abrasion on the webbing. They have some neat add on features as well, such as molded weights that bolt to the back plate and attachment points for side mounts.

On the education front. there are some changes as well. Like it or not, on line learning is growing. SDI offers on line learning for OW and several specialties including nitrox. PADI is expanding its e-learning offerings as well.

Scuba Pro was absent DEMA again this year. Dive Rite chose not to attend as they feel the reps keep the dive shops well enough informed.

All in all it was a great event. There was enough product innovation to wet the appetite. Hopefully we'll see some deals come down the pipe line.

Waterproof makes a good wetsuit and we can get them in the shop. I just don't like all the seams. It reminds me of a tailor gone mad, or a coat of many colors.
Have you tried one on? I have to say the seams are all very well though out as they fit extremely well. They are also very well put together and most importantly they make you look like a superhero! For the ladies that is a definite plus.

~Jess

DEMA was definitely bigger this year than last, mainly because it was in Vegas. I think that is the historical trend, that the DEMA show has allways been largest when it is held in Vegas.

I really hope that DEMA does not continue to shrink. Not being a Dcuba Pro rep, I cannot say what their reason is for skipping DEMA. It may be a financial decision, or it could be strictly political. I know Dive Rite saw skipping this year as a cost saving move and it is probably a sign of the recent economic events. Another factor that ties into the decision, is having something new to showcase. If there is no big earth shattering news, why spend the money to go there and tell the same story you've been telling all year. Hopefully, manufacturers will be able to bring some new products to market this year and give them a reason to show up and show off at DEMA.

I don't think the internet is going to make trade shows obsolete, especially in industries such as recreation. There is just too much benefit to being able to get hands on with the gear and have face to face conversations with your suppliers.

Seemed like there was a drysuit or rebreather around every corner.

As a new DiveCon this was my first year to attend DEMA. I enjoyed the show very much and there is a good chance I will go again next year. The show I work for is a Atomic seller and I am sure the new pink and purple fins, mask, snorkel will be big sellers.

Also as a spearfisherman I was glad to see that there are several new camo wetsuits on the market. I have already put my name on the list for one from Oneil and will might be getting one from Riffe also.

Just some new notes on the zeagle products I was able to see at work,

Had a chance to check out some of the new zeagle BCD's.

Tech Express is awesome, I will be buying one here before too long for travel, super light and very simple. Just the way I like it. The Price on it can not be beat.

New Ranger LTD- Looks very sharp, fixed all the things I did not like about the old Ranger.

Can't wait to see the new N2ition, Going to be hard to hold off on buying a new computer until that one ships.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom