Dema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking at a VR3 for now- need the O2 cell intergration for the rebreather.

Have you taken a look at the Shearwater Pursuit? It can be integrated with a CCR unit also. It's a little less flashy than the VR3, but it's also a little less expensive. I know of at least one person on the board who is seriously considering one for OC trimix diving. More info... Pursuit Dive Computer

You will be better off buying a small flat bottom boat for this application, as an avid yaker, I know any type of motor(even a electric trolling motor) on a yak would require you to register it with TP&W,also putting a small o/b engine on back would require a counterweight on front +two divers and gear would sink any yak,(even a tandem)that I know of.As far as a dive yak look at the wilderness system ride or the cobra fish&dive, nice stable yaks- are used a lot on the coast for fishing beyond the breakers (or just off shore), I paddle a w/s tarpon140 and would love to make a trip on lake travis-just need a partner

I haven't tried getting in and out of a small, flat bottomed boat, but it looks like it could be pretty tough with dive gear. Do you know of anyone who does this? I'd be curious to see what their thoughts are on the subject. I'm just looking for something to get me around to areas of the lake that aren't easily accessible from the shore. It would be nice to have something small that wouldn't require a whole lot of work to put in the water without a boat ramp. I'm open to any and all ideas!

I haven't tried getting in and out of a small, flat bottomed boat, but it looks like it could be pretty tough with dive gear. Do you know of anyone who does this? I'd be curious to see what their thoughts are on the subject. I'm just looking for something to get me around to areas of the lake that aren't easily accessible from the shore. It would be nice to have something small that wouldn't require a whole lot of work to put in the water without a boat ramp. I'm open to any and all ideas!

I would think that a small portable hook style ladder(available at academy or any boat store) would help getting in.I've turtled in my yak and re-entry can be tricky even when wearing just light fishing clothes and pfd,dive gear would have to be taken off then pulled up on board.I don't know of anyone doing this but, I really want to combine my two passions -diving and yaking

I saw a Waterproof dry suit - full neoprene - at a dive shop last time I was in Germany. It looked like you could comfortably dive liquid helium in it. Very tough, very heavy, very nice. Waterproof is all about cold water and quality - excellent stuff.

As for the lights - I just got the Salvo 12W LED - look no further for an LED canister - this thing is awesome. Way outperforms whatever expectations I had.

I saw a Waterproof dry suit - full neoprene - at a dive shop last time I was in Germany. It looked like you could comfortably dive liquid helium in it. Very tough, very heavy, very nice. Waterproof is all about cold water and quality - excellent stuff.

As for the lights - I just got the Salvo 12W LED - look no further for an LED canister - this thing is awesome. Way outperforms whatever expectations I had.

Bill,

How does this light at 90 feet in Lake Travis?

Shawn O'Shea

myFOXaustin.com | Underwater Web Cam at Aquarena Center

Bill,

How does this light at 90 feet in Lake Travis?

Shawn O'Shea

Shawn - It lights as good as anything in its class -

I did a lot of research before I bought the 12W LED. While the Salvo LED has more lumens than the 10W HID, my two concerns were color temp and beam focus - which to me defines the "penetrating" power of the light in low viz water.

The HID is a higher color temp - meaning it burns more blue/white - the LED burns more yellow/white. The HID also seems to have a more pencil like center beam. The hotter color temp coupled with the tighter center beam spot made me think that the HID would perform better.

Turns out this is not the case. The best way to describe it is that the Salvo throws a "light column" - its a strong central column of light that easily equals (and I think exceeds) the performance of the 10W HID. I would have no problem recommending the Salvo LED to anyone considering a 10W HID.

Now - if your talking about something in the 20+W range - what I'm hearing is that the LED is still not up to the HID in that range - but in the 10W class - the days of the HID are over.

You want me to email you the next time I'm heading for the lake so you can see it for real?

Shawn - It lights as good as anything in its class -

I did a lot of research before I bought the 12W LED. While the Salvo LED has more lumens than the 10W HID, my two concerns were color temp and beam focus - which to me defines the "penetrating" power of the light in low viz water.

The HID is a higher color temp - meaning it burns more blue/white - the LED burns more yellow/white. The HID also seems to have a more pencil like center beam. The hotter color temp coupled with the tighter center beam spot made me think that the HID would perform better.

Turns out this is not the case. The best way to describe it is that the Salvo throws a "light column" - its a strong central column of light that easily equals (and I think exceeds) the performance of the 10W HID. I would have no problem recommending the Salvo LED to anyone considering a 10W HID.

Now - if your talking about something in the 20+W range - what I'm hearing is that the LED is still not up to the HID in that range - but in the 10W class - the days of the HID are over.

You want me to email you the next time I'm heading for the lake so you can see it for real?

Yes, let me know. What is the estimated cost for the LED?

Shawn O'Shea

:D

I would think that a small portable hook style ladder(available at academy or any boat store) would help getting in.I've turtled in my yak and re-entry can be tricky even when wearing just light fishing clothes and pfd,dive gear would have to be taken off then pulled up on board.I don't know of anyone doing this but, I really want to combine my two passions -diving and yaking

I think Nemrod does. He dives a pretty minimalist rig, though. You might PM him and ask him about it.

I have been kayak diving in San Diego Bay, outside Mission Beach.

It is simple, anchor, two person kayak with 1 diver and gear.

Plan your dive...........dive your plan...........with good execution in the swells.

No extra goodies necessary.

SO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom