Dema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mack Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife and I will be leaving for Las Vegas in the morning. The DEMA show runs Wednesday - Saturday. Normally, I'm a seminar junkie when I go, but this year, I'm planning to spend more time on the trade show floor. So, let me know if there is anything in particular that you would like me to be on the look out for.

Lets see where to start...

Anything that is LED driven canister light that has an output over 10 Watts and the less LED's the better. The LED unit currently used in the Oxycheck raider is the
Cree Q5. You want it stronger than that.

Next see what is happening in the battery sector- Lithium has been having problems.
In the land down under- there was a recent accident were Lithium batteries from a scooter caught a number of things on fire (on top of a truck) and melted a MK15.5 rebreather and destroyed the truck. So I am interested to see whats happening in the battery market.

Next is protection- Diverite has rummored a new Drysuit. Not sure if its a totally new model but it would not surprsie me.

There is a European wetsuit designer (swedish) that is just come into the US market. They should have some interesting products. (No name sorry)

Also anything to replace the Dacor Drysuit that was the low price leader in the market?

Anything that you see would be interesting to hear about.

We went in 2005 and it was a blast...
Have fun - hit up the rep's and get all the goodies.

As the saying goes- When i was at band camp.
For divers it is - when I was at DEMA!

Andew

Just a couple of ideas:
  • I agree with Crazyduck on the LED and battery market. I would like to know what is coming out that is an improvement over current offerings especially when it comes to can lights.
  • I would like to know if Dive Rite is ever going to release the Nitek X.
  • If anyone has any nice dive kayaks that would work out in Lake Travis I'd be interested in hearing about that. I am looking for one I can put a small (3 HP) motor on that would hold two people and their gear. Of course, I'd be looking for stability in the water because of all the wave action generated in the lake by rich guys with more money than sense racing their boats up and down the channel.

There is a European wetsuit designer (swedish) that is just come into the US market. They should have some interesting products. (No name sorry)
The wetsuit manufacturer you're thinking of is Waterproof. Great wetsuits. We have a dealer in Austin if you're interested...Royal Scuba.

I dove with the owner of Waterproof when I went to Antarctica in 2003. He had several of the suits there, they were very nice.

I forgot one:

• An affordable DPV that is rated to 200'+...if there is such a thing that is affordable. :wink:

Update on the Nitek X

Snipped from their own website-
October 15th, 2008
NiTek X In Production
All the parts are in stock and the first five beta production units are being assembled. These units are full production with 4th cell integration and download capability. I will have these back on Friday from the development team. The week after DEMA we will be in full production at Dive Rite with the first 100 units rolling off the production line. Another 250 will follow. We will then go to a normal production schedule.

The NiTek X is one of the few US-manufactured dive computers on the market and we are proud to deliver it.

Lamar

Link- Dive Rite - Dive Rite’s online journal exploring the latest in technical diving

No comment on production.
I think that Diverite is not a this show they are spending more time out in the field.
That's what I have heard from the rep's.
(spending time with divers is an excellent choice for me.)
I am looking at a VR3 for now- need the O2 cell intergration for the rebreather.

Just a couple of ideas:
  • I agree with Crazyduck on the LED and battery market. I would like to know what is coming out that is an improvement over current offerings especially when it comes to can lights.
  • I would like to know if Dive Rite is ever going to release the Nitek X.
  • If anyone has any nice dive kayaks that would work out in Lake Travis I'd be interested in hearing about that. I am looking for one I can put a small (3 HP) motor on that would hold two people and their gear. Of course, I'd be looking for stability in the water because of all the wave action generated in the lake by rich guys with more money than sense racing their boats up and down the channel.

It would be nice if it weighted 10 pounds so I could take it to Cozumel :rofl3:.

Look for a used Silent Sub on the boards.
They tend to hold their price but that is the best prices that I have been able to find.
Hit up Cavediver.net, Rebreatherworld, TDS and the usual suspects.

The rage around the Depth-X scooter has fallen off. So might be cheaper.
I'll keep my eyes open for ya.

Andrew

I forgot one:

• An affordable DPV that is rated to 200'+...if there is such a thing that is affordable. :wink:

[*]If anyone has any nice dive kayaks that would work out in Lake Travis I'd be interested in hearing about that. I am looking for one I can put a small (3 HP) motor on that would hold two people and their gear. Of course, I'd be looking for stability in the water because of all the wave action generated in the lake by rich guys with more money than sense racing their boats up and down the channel.
[/LIST]

You will be better off buying a small flat bottom boat for this application, as an avid yaker, I know any type of motor(even a electric trolling motor) on a yak would require you to register it with TP&W,also putting a small o/b engine on back would require a counterweight on front +two divers and gear would sink any yak,(even a tandem)that I know of.As far as a dive yak look at the wilderness system ride or the cobra fish&dive, nice stable yaks- are used a lot on the coast for fishing beyond the breakers (or just off shore), I paddle a w/s tarpon140 and would love to make a trip on lake travis-just need a partner

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom