Diving gear for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
Also, check out Scubatoys.com they have very good customer service,etc.. And they can but packages together for you too.
Kurt

I would buy things in this order:

a). Dive computer (air integrated)
b). wet suit or dry suit (if you don't already have one)
c). BC
d). Regulator set (1st, 2nd, octo)

Nothing personal ND but I'm going to disagree with that.

The first on the list should be the 1st and 2nd stage/ octo setup. Spend all your money there. This is the piece of gear that your life depends on the most, is easily damaged and something you don't want to "rent". Did the person before you drag the octo through the mud and not clean it properly, does it tend to free flow or freeze up, is it tuned to breath too easy or hard? If you rent, each time out is a crap shoot. When you own it you know how it is treated, how it performs and when it was serviced last.

From there the order of computer, BCD, exposure suit is up to you. If you plan to travel/local dive a computer might be second. I'ts small so you will bring it on trips and in many places it is one thing you might not be able to rent. Like others have noted, leave the tanks for last. I would suggest a lot of hard thinking before impulse buying though. Your gear selection will depend on the type of diving you do. How often will you dive locally vs vacation, recreational vs technical etc...

A dry suit will set you back about $1000 or more retail and would be worth it if you plan to dive locally/year round. I hardly know anyone who dives the PNW year round in a wet suit. If not, renting a dry suit occasionally might be more cost effective. Just crunch the numbers on that one. Also, rent a few different brands/styles and see which you like. Also note the extras you might have to buy (rockboots, drygloves, undergarments).

About The computer. If you just plan to rec dive, a cheaper computer like a Suunto Gekko will do fine. It allows air/nitrox and gives all the pertinent info you need. From there you will pay more for extra features such as PC linking, AI etc... but you don't need that stuff if you don't want it. Depends on how much disposable income you have I guess.

Right out of the shoot I impulsively bought a jacket BCD which is ok for rec diving (I'll dive it for now) but in retrospect, I should have gone for a BP/W. I don't think it makes you a better diver or anything but the BP platform is the simplest, most reliable and allows for the most variation in gear configuration and adaptability down the road. All the splashy doo dads and sprinkles on most BCD's might look cool in the store but don't add to your experience in the water. On my BCD I have already removed the cummerbund, back pad and had to replace/add D rings to the proper location. I have quick release pockets but split my weight on a belt anyways and could just as easily put it all there.

I also think buying used is a good option. My reg set is X rental and came rebuilt with one free yearly servicing. Buying that way allowed me to get a quality rig for an affordable price. My LDS annually sells X rental Reg's, BCD's and dry suits. They replace their rental gear each year and use quality products so check some LDS's out in your neighborhood to see what's out there. New makes you feel good but once it's been dived a bit it's all used anyways.

Lastly, I can't stress how helpful a working relationship with an instructor/LDS owner (you can trust) can be. I spend a lot of time picking my instructor/owners brains about gear/configuration and he has talked me out of buying a lot of useless gear.

Hi Phil,

Welcome almost to scuba and welcome back to your wife. Looks like everyone has covered your topic with lots of good info. The only thing I would add is to make your equipment buying decision based on how much diving you are going to be doing and a budget that you may be thinking about.

Many people get certified and go purchase gear before they really know how much they like scuba or how often they really want to dive. Your Instructor should have lots of good advice based on the gear that they use and what is out there. Yes there are allot of choices but many times we have found that by asking a few simple questions we can usually steer a customer to the package that suits them.

Hope this helps.

hi there i have an online business called kirkscubagear.com, which i think have the best prices on the net---ck it out---thanks Kathy

The recomended site does not come up. :confused:
By the way my shop will beat your shop prices :D

As with a few others, do your research and check around, dont just buy what your dive shop tries to sell you. I disagree with making a computer your first purchase though. Computers are great, however, like a tell my students, wait and become proficient in your dive tables and know them WELL, before you rely on a computer solely. Any life support equipment especially regulators should be bought at a dive shop that services them for service support, most other item you can buy off the internet and save some money as this sport is quite expensive. Use the shops rental gear, including wetsuits, try out everything, note what feels better and comfortable..and remember its not a fashion show out there; go for products that are well built and good quality and dont just look good...Have fun and good luck !

This is kinda late but..... If you have the time drive down to Eugene, Oregon and go to Eugene Skin Divers Supply they are really good and won't sell you something you don't need!!! They are easy to work with, have ALOT of experience, always back up their products... if you need directions they have a web site... but they don't deal "online".
You can find them at:
Good Luck.... D:cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom