Hello, new member resuming scuba diving after a long absence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gauornever

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just thought I would introduce myself as I have been lurking here for about a month, soaking up info. My wife and I recently Re-did OW and took a Dry suit course here in Seattle. I was originally certified in 1994 in Fiji (while located there in the Peace Corps), my wife in early 2000's for our honeymoon in Belize. But soon after our honeymoon we had kids and moved to Seattle area, where we were too weak to and soft to dive locally, and we never made any tropical trips. So now about 20 years after our last dive, with the kids are getting out of our hair, we decided to give cold water diving a go. So far we are both loving it, really can't fathom why it took so long to try it. I notice a lot of members here are in PNW, so will be asking a lot of questions.
We are also headed to Abaco Island in the Bahamas this April. It doesn't look like that island is a big SCUBA destination, but since we will be there we would like to dive, so if any have information it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Welcome.

I also returned to scuba diving after a more than 20 years interruption a little less than 3 years ago. Like you I regret that it took me so long.

Thanks, good to see others have gone through it. I had a couple of embarrassing buoyancy control issues first time back in the water, but starting to feel like I'm getting back in the saddle. I have to say the "How old will you dive till" thread here made me feel better about my remaining time to dive.

Welcome to the ranks of the BADs - Born Again Divers. There are a lot of us around here. You've come to the right place.

For me the biggest change between my first cert (1978) and re-cert (2004) was all the new tech. Dive computers that actually work! BCDs instead of AT-PACs or horse collars.

Don't get me started on all the fin options!

But this is the place to be welcomed back into the ranks, and to get help navigating all that has changed.

This is very exciting, OP. Welcome back! Is there some special reason you chose Abaco for your Bahamas trip? From what I’ve hear, it’s lovely, but dive tourism doesn’t seem too be their big thing.
There is a Bahamas forum on this board though, so if you go visit them, I’m sure they will have the info you need. Have fun... and don’t get too attached to that cold water diving, I’ve decided that life is too short to spend putting on dry Suits! 😆
🐸

This is very exciting, OP. Welcome back! Is there some special reason you chose Abaco for your Bahamas trip? From what I’ve hear, it’s lovely, but dive tourism doesn’t seem too be their big thing.
There is a Bahamas forum on this board though, so if you go visit them, I’m sure they will have the info you need. Have fun... and don’t get too attached to that cold water diving, I’ve decided that life is too short to spend putting on dry Suits! 😆
🐸
Oh thanks, didn't realize that there are location forums. I'll check that out. Abaco was my brothers choice. He's getting into sailing and is renting a boat there for a family get together and training for himself. My wife and I hope we can dive with a local dive guide or operation while he is training during the day.

Greetings and welcome from Bellingham!

Back
Top Bottom