Aussie diving, 1st Feb to 15th Feb.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Mark, I am headed down to Byron with Shon and Pete on Sunday!!!

I did my first night dive last night. Physically it was a very tough dive for me....at one point it was so painful I wondered what the hell I was thinking! However the beautiful seahorse and occies were worth the pain. I will however in future have to look at how to make diving less painful for me. I found my feet floating up past my back which hurt so much but I couldn't seem to get my feet down or my balance and trim right. Can you put weights in your fins or something? Anyway I think I have recovered for the most part today and its back to work tomorrow.

I am taking my 12 year old son for his first dive with Pete on Wednesday. He just turned 12 and he wanted this for his birthday. So lots to do and lots to come...

Hey Mark, I am headed down to Byron with Shon and Pete on Sunday!!!

I did my first night dive last night. Physically it was a very tough dive for me....at one point it was so painful I wondered what the hell I was thinking! However the beautiful seahorse and occies were worth the pain. I will however in future have to look at how to make diving less painful for me. I found my feet floating up past my back which hurt so much but I couldn't seem to get my feet down or my balance and trim right. Can you put weights in your fins or something? Anyway I think I have recovered for the most part today and its back to work tomorrow.

I am taking my 12 year old son for his first dive with Pete on Wednesday. He just turned 12 and he wanted this for his birthday. So lots to do and lots to come...

Hi Stormysea.

I will most likely be around in the morning diving on Sunday. Pete and Shona are such nice people too.

The diving is at its best at the moment. Did two dives in today. Still alot of Leopard sharks about and took a fair fews pics of the local loggerhead turtles. My work has imposed some restrictions on what i can upload at work so I can't post my pics from today and yesterday.

I wish I learnt to dive when I was 12. Your boy will be a lucky lad to have this experience at such an early age.

As for floaty feet you can buy ankle weights. They are normally about 2lbs and I did have some around which i used to use for when I first started using a drysuit.

Another option is to look at some different fins. I have the hollis F1 fins which are like the older turtle fins. These fins are heavy and would stop your feet floating up. You can borrow my fins but they arein XL size.

Something to think about.

Regards Mark

Stormysea I had heaps of problems with floaty feet and ended up with ankle weights. You can also try:

-moving your tank as low as possible
-taking weight out of trim pockets and putting it on your weight belt
-arching your back (this was uncomfortable for me though)
-putting your hands out in front - this helped me a lot but still would have issues
-buying heavier fins - I did this (rubber jet fins) and I was able to reduce the amount of ankle weights but not all together.

I finally was able to ditch the ankle weights when I got a BP/W setup though and I am not sure exactly why this was the case though a friend who borrowed my old BC said he had floaty feet with it and had not had that problem in the past. I know the air did not distribute evenly in my BC so perhaps get someone to check if your BC has a lot of air in the bottom as that will lift your feet up a bit if its near your bum I've found.

Awesome pics AussieByron!

I did two dives for my birthday on Sunday with my two regular buddies - firstly Portsea Pier, viz was amazing! Saw big school of salmon, nudis, stingrays, seahorses, etc :) Then we got talked into Sorrento Pier (were going to do Rye) which is only diveable at night when the ferry stops. I am so glad that the people at the dive shop talked us into it as the water was so clear I could barely tell I was in water at all (other than the cold and not being able to breathe without my reg - but you know what I mean :p). Tonnes of fish I only usually see in the ocean (think it isn't spearfished much due to the ferry!) so was one of the best night dives I've ever done - nice for my birthday anyway :)

Spiny-tailed leatherjacket - was huge
3265468275_6c655b8c7b.jpg

Tasmanian clingfish - first time seeing one of these
3265466925_e74b34b077.jpg

Seahorse
3265466063_5d62c34c8c.jpg

I did not get many pictures as my flash stopped working and I could not figure out why on the first dive - but turns out my silicone packet thingy was blocking the sensor. You can see the exact moment it broke here where I am trying to get Paul to figure out what is wrong :rofl3::
YouTube - sas flash attach
Paul is my underwater tech support guy :wink:

At night the same thing happened (I'd realised then what it was) but I was already submerged so not much I could do about it. Gonna stick it on next time (using a new type). SO annoying.

Oh! And one last thing, my friend Beth made an *amazing* cake for my birthday - she knows I like cephalopods and made me a giant squid cake!
3266294590_04a44f5b9e.jpg

Hey Sas your birthday is the same as my son's!

I am going to have a look at some ankle weights and I will be taking the weights out of my trim pockets and popping them in my pockets. I have a pool session of Nate tomorrow so I might tag a long and work on my buoyancy.

i wear ankle weights also... you get the fanatics that will say that ankle weights are the devils work and its either you are finning wrong or wearing the wrong type of fins but they can kiss my big old :mooner:

love the cake Sas! what a talented friend!

Dont worry what anyone says, do whatever works for you and ypu are comfortable with

Yes ... great cake sas ... next time to give your friend a challenge tell her you want a cuttlefish ... one that changes colour

i wear ankle weights also... you get the fanatics that will say that ankle weights are the devils work and its either you are finning wrong or wearing the wrong type of fins but they can kiss my big old :mooner:

love the cake Sas! what a talented friend!

oooh oooh ... bite tongue ...

BTW ... paddles are the devils work ... :rofl3:

Haha, fish I already told her one year I want an ascidian that curls up when you poke it :rofl3: And another year a leafy sea dragon. She says maybe in a few years when she's had more practice as she wants to do a cake making course to learn some tricks.

There are a few kinds stormysea and in different weights. I used to wear velcro kind of straps that had pockets you could slide in 500g or 1kg weights so basically like a weight belt but for my feet :). There are also ones that are solid weights in a circle that clip on but I would recommend getting ones that you can adjust the weight on them.

Ignore people who bag out ankle weights. If you need them, you need them. I didn't like wearing them though as sometimes they would be too loose and sometimes too tight and it is more work on my legs I found. So I was glad to be able to ditch them recently :)

Back
Top Bottom