computer for farsighted...pls.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billtodive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I like computers, but am farsighted. If i have to have my buddy hold it so I can see it, ain't noooo body gonna be happy!

anyone have suggestions? LDS carries little bitty ones that are hard to read in the store, much less under water.

waterwilly once bubbled...
anyone have suggestions?
There are little stick-on lenses that help farsighted people read gauges. You just stick them in the lower portion of your mask as an low cost alternative to full custom bifocals. Your local dive shop probably has them. This is a good solution if your distance vision is good, but you need a little help with things close up.

Some computers, such as the Oceanic Versa Line have pretty big numbers. I'm sure there are others.

If you need both distance and near vision correction, then you can send your mask to a place like Prescription Dive Masks to have custom ground lenses bonded into the mask.
IMO, this is the best solution.

I also need longer arms to read things that are up close. I tried using the stick-on lens' that were available at the drug stores, but the problem with those is that they are made for curved lenses, such as sunglasses. After much looking around, I was unable to find them anymore at any of the drug stores in this area. "Don't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile." is what I was told.

I finally bought and am currently using Dive Optx from my dive shop, but I found this site where one can purchase the exact same thing as from a dive shop, but a cheaper.

I am diving with a Cressi Archimede and while I am satisified with the computer, I am going to switch to a console mount. I find that I can't read it while on my wrist. I am considering a Suunto Cobra in order to have all my information far enough away from my aging eyes. Might even go the DIR long-hose route because having the gauges 2 meters from my eyes seems about right!

Not sure about adding/changing lenses in my mask. I alreaedy wear contact lenses and don't want to otherwise alter my vision underwater and think I might find the stick-on lenses distracting.

Hope you find a good solution. It's a pain not having good eyes!

Phil

Don't know if this will help, but I know the Sherwood Wisdom has a very large/readable display.

-Adam:mouth:

The stick on lens would be one avenue. If it does not work for you, it comes off fairly easily, I am told.

But I personally use one day throw away contacts. One eye set for close up and the other eye set for far away. I got use to it faily quickly and now I read my guages with my left eye and see everything else with my right. You eye doctor can recommend the combinatnion that is right for you.

Just need that help close-up. I 'll try ur suggestions on land, and have it fixed b-4 next dive.
I have a good enough handle on air consumption that I dont need the spg in my face, but i would like to see compass and comp. There may be snow on the ground, but there's no ice on the water. Thanks

Well, why you don't try a mask with optical lenses?
if you don't see so to well, then this is a much more better sollution.

Just need that help close-up. I 'll try ur suggestions on land, and have it fixed b-4 next dive.
I have a good enough handle on air consumption that I dont need the spg in my face, but i would like to see compass and comp. There may be snow on the ground, but there's no ice on the water. Thanks

Some of the Oceanic computers have really large numbers, and they are pretty easy to read, even for people with bad vision.

My buddy has an Oceanic Data Max Pro (or something very much like that). It is air integrated and chock full 'o bells and whistles. It also has what were the larges LCD numbers at the time it was introduced.

When I was still renting, I could read his gauge easier than my own Prodigy or Suunto Favor.

When I bought, I opted for the Oceanic Versa Pro (and an Aeris Atmos II) which is simpler, no air integration, and has numbers just as big. It works well for me.

Another alternative would be to get a prescription mask, and you can get them with "bifocal" or whatever custom RX you need, it will just cost you $. A recent dive magazine listed two ads for RX Masks, one was $189 the other $119.

None of these options are cheap, but it is a long term investment. Well, expenditure anyway.

Wristshot

PS: I tried the little stick on lens device for seeing close up. They cost about $35, came off too easy, and didn't work for me. However, they do work for some people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom