Oceanic Data Max

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been using a Oceanic Data Max Sport since 1991 (about 550 dives), have never had a problem with it, however, the battery cannot be replaced. I'm going on a 4 month trip and hope to do 100 dives. Is anyone else out there still using this computer, how many dives have they done with it or how many dives were done before the batteries ran out?
Thanks!!

Hm. Why can't the battery be replaced? (I have a datatrans and battery replacement is trivial, but I guess that's a different arrangement.)

If you have to send it in or something, I would just do it. HIH

The original Data Max did not have a replacable battery (I've contacted Oceanic) but I don't want to throw the thing out as it's worked fine till now. Prefer to spend my money on diving and not on replacing equipment that is still in good working condition. Was just wondering what experience other people have had, as I used to see a lot of them being used.

Nemo once bubbled...
Prefer to spend my money on diving and not on replacing equipment that is still in good working condition.

Well no kidding. Have you visited their web site? They used to have an upgrade program where you cold get a discount on a new computer by sending them your old one. Might be worth considering if other options don't pan out.

Might be obvious, but have you asked your LDS?

I've got one too, and had the same problem. The battery is replaceable, but they won't service them anymore. Shame, as even though it's primitive compared to what's out there now, it's a very useful, friendly device. Someone put a lot of thought into that interface.

Hm. Reminds me of Apple - best engineers on the planet working with the silliest marketers.

The download program for the datatrans - if you're into that sort of thing - will only work with Win98 of all things, and no other OS. Just freakin bizarre.

In future I think I'll just stick with Suunto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom